pigeons on the balcony

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by TimA, Jan 24, 2009.

1. TimA

TimA Active Member

There's a fair bit of pigeon poop on my balcony. I'm aware that it could be hazardous to disturb too much, but I've got to clean up a little. I'm wondering if the best thing would be just to shovel it into a plant pot, mix it with a bit of soil. Would it be a good fertilizer? How much, proportionally, could I add to a pot without it affecting pH or other factors of soil quality?

Also, are there any plants that are "pigeon-unfriendly"?

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Maybe if it was composted first...but shoveling raw pigeon poop in with your plants? No.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

What about just washing it away with a hose? If would be diluted and dispersed that way.

4. TimA

TimA Active Member

Well, my balcony is somewhat enclosed, you don't think the drain will get clogged? I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

I would shovel and bag up the poop---wear disposable gloves (maybe even a mask) whilst performing this removal. You do NOT want to breathe in any parasites or other gackly bacteria, etc. that might be lurking in this pigeon frass.

Plants that are "pigeon-unfriendly"...? What are the birds doing to your plants (nesting in, nibbling on, pooping among?) and what kinds of plants do you have? ---Hmm. Cactus, maybe.