Pieris japonica "Valley Fire"

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Laura A. S. Grande, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Laura A. S. Grande

Laura A. S. Grande Member

I planted a Pieris japonica "Valley Fire" a few weeks ago in my Michigan, U.S.A. home landscape. Can anyone tell me why the new leaves are no longer bright orange-red? Since a couple of weeks ago, there has been none of the color ranging from orange-red to cream that characterized the leaves when I purchased the plant. It is otherwise very healthy, with abundant new green foliage.

2. tee

tee Member

Pieris

Hi, just to let you know your plant is fine. New growth will be red/orange fading to cream then green. I have two shrubs that are always very showy and fragrant in the Spring. Bees go crazy over these shrubs. Cheers.

3. Laura A. S. Grande

Pieris japonica again

Thanks so much for your reply, "tee", which inspires me to ask you a few further questions:

Does new growth emerge as red/orange throughout summer, or only in the spring? There are numerous leaves on my plant that are only about a couple cm long (presumably new growth), yet they are solid green. When I bought the shrub, it was GORGEOUS, just as you describe yours in spring, with the leaves retaining their red/orange and cream hues until they got several cm long.

Also, can you tell me how much sun these shrubs need? I've heard/read conflicting stories--some reporting that P.j. prefers partial shade, some reporting a preference for full sun, some saying morning sun should be avoided. Mine does get late morning sun, then full sun for a couple hours, then filterned sun--all told, several hours.

Lastly, how sensitive are your P.j. to early Spring frost? Do you protect them in early Spring with burlap or anything else?

Thanks very much for your input.

4. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi Laura and Tee

The PJ's from the discription 3 come to mind Valley fire Forest flame and valley flame ( all commonly miss tagged ).

Tee is right
    hang in there as it appears that they are new in thier enviroment.
    and need to spread thie roots. I had 9 varieties and 1000 plants in the lower mainland. If they have the proper soil they do not seem to care if they are in full sun ( ie morning or afternoon shade
    for 6 to 8 hours.) or partial shade.

It would be an asset if you can take a soil sample into a garden center and have it checked out. If the acidity of the soil is to low or high the plant will change colors.

I brought 25 plants with me to Prince George B.C and the only ones that I lost were due to the northern winds that sucked them dry.

My Fault ,but gardening is all an experiment and next year will always be better.

Regards Doug

5. tee

tee Member

Hi Laura...I just looked at my P.j.'s and yes the new growth is light pink/red but nothing like the showy colours of Spring. Mine are growing in a sheltered area (near the entrance of my home) protected from drying winds. They are well established and have reached approx 4' wide x 12' tall. They receive full sun until late afternoon (3pm) then filtered shade. I'm unfamiliar with your climate/zone so I'll describe ours. We experience very mild winters (an extreme might be -10C for 2 - 3 days at a time) on the west coast so there has been very little dieback from frosts. They get more limb damage from gusting winds (hence the sheltered site) and heavy (very wet) snowfall. Perhaps someone with a similar climate to yours will be able to provide a better answer to your query regarding protection/hardiness to winter and spring frosts.

6. Laura A. S. Grande

Pieris japonica 'Valley Fire' again

Thanks to both Doug and "Tee" for your thoughtful replies. I'll check out the soil pH and I'll be prepared to protect the shrub from winter winds (and hungry deer .... wish me luck!). "Tee", are your P. japonicas the cultivar "Valley Fire"? If so, I'm surprised at their height. They must be exquisite!

7. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi Laura

Do deer eat your p,js, we have not had that problem yet as they seem to prefer the thuja and golden globes. I do not mind them trimming the thuja's as it only leaves me the top 2 feet to trim that they can not reach. Apparently the deer and the nieghbours goats figure that the cedars are candy.

Regards Doug

8. Laura A. S. Grande

Pieris japonica and deer

Hi, Doug. No personal experience with Pj and deer yet, but I'm told deer love Pj. I have only one (Pj, that is), but come winter, when there's little else green in the woods, I'm afraid the deer will venture closer to the house and discover the Pj was worth their courage.