Identification: picnic table fungus - poisonous?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by worriedmom, Aug 26, 2007.

1. worriedmom

worriedmom Member

Hi-

I hope someone can relieve my mind about this. I live in Cleveland, where they have the "Emerald Necklace" ring of metroparks. Today, I went there on a picnic with my family, and was getting food out onto a picnic table, when my son noticed that there was fungus growing out of the end of the picnic table, and I was leaning up against it. I stepped back, but not before the wet fungus (it had rained earlier) had left wet, bright yellow stains on my pants.

I did not have my camera with me, but the fungus was a group flattish semicircles of rusty-red fungus with bright yellow edges. The underneath part was sort of brainish looking bright yellow, and the larger ones had a little bit of an upside-down cup shape to them. Is this something I should be worried about, or can I just throw the pants into the wash with my children's clothing?

I know this is probably silly, but I don't know much about fungus, just that it can be poisonous.

Thank you,
    Looking forward to an answer soon.

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

I have no guesses about the specific identity of the fungus. However, no one has ever gotten poisoned by just touching a fungus (with a few possible rare exceptions of dermotological reactions to a few particular fungi that you probably don't even have in Ohio). No need to worry.