Picea abies 'Pusch' and others like?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by copperbeech, Feb 15, 2016.

1. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

We love perennial gardening but I know we need to continue to add 'bones' to the space. In the past few years we have added a couple of slow growing JM and last season a couple of conifer standards but we are quite limited in terms of space and sun aspect. 'Pusch' looks like a wonderful example of a compact, unique conifer. What has your experience been in terms of zone hardiness and shade tolerance for this plant? What might you recommend, also small and slow growing with interesting foliage or flower that can perform in (much) less than full sun?

2. garcan

garcan Active Member 10 Years

Picea abies generally does not have hardiness issue in our area (Zone 5 Ontario). I only have 'Pusch' for a couple of years in full sun. So I cannot provide any definitive word for its shade tolerance. Generally, my experience with many Picea abies cultivars is they can survive OK perhaps less vigorous and slower growing unless it is very heavy shade. I will not make specific recommendation since the ornamental attributes of a conifer is very much personal taste. However, I can list a few for you to consider:
    Abies koreana 'Kohouts Ice Breaker'
    Abies koreana 'Freudenberg'
    Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Baldwin's Variegated'
    Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Butter Ball'
    Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Nana Gracilis'
    Picea glauca var. albertiana 'JW Daisy's White'
    Picea orientalis 'Tom Thumb Gold'

Looking into conifers can be addictive; be warned!
    Hope this help, Good luck.