Phrag. besseae (HavenxSmokin)

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by andrewpfisher, Oct 24, 2006.

1. andrewpfisher

andrewpfisher Member

My girlfriend has one of these and we've seen information that says you are supposed to be watering it frequently (every day to "keep wet"). the problem is that she was watering it once a week (never really drying out) and the roots don't seem to be doing so well. Some are rotting and there is just not much root growth and is not really rooted in the bark.

What could be the issue? More water? More rocks in the mix? More fertilizer?
    Thanks.

2. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

How about more information!
    If your plant has little root growth then you need to repot it into a smaller pot with fresh mix. I would use regular commercial orchid mix which is mixed 50/50 with fine fir bark if available or if not then coir (coconut bark chips) or cypress litter (available at pet shops). With few roots I would stay with the once weekly waterings using distilled, rain, or r/o water only-no tap water though I do not really water my plant on any regular schedule.
    What you need to be sure of is the humidity and the night temperatures and protection from chilly air. And what about light?
    How much is the plant getting? Got an image?

3. andrewpfisher

andrewpfisher Member

This is in the kitchen (in south berkeley). There's a north facing window that gets almost no direct sun and the plants are in a spot where they get indirect light only. I can take some pics and post as soon as I have time.
    Temperature:
    we haven't turned on our heater yet, so it can be chilly in the mornings. I dont take temperature readings though. The temperature is pretty constant on the bottom floor of our place where they are and is what I would say is "cool" prob in the 60-68 degree range (which is prob too cold).
    Humidity....
    well, its about as humid as it is in Berkeley, not very, at least not this time of year.