photos of odd seedlings

Discussion in 'Maples' started by banjoboy, Apr 18, 2007.

1. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

I just wanted to share a few pictures of some baby maples of mine. I have collected a absurd amount of baby maples this year and some of them look quite a bit different from the others. Don't worry, i'm not going to start naming, propagating, and selling these. I just wanted to share my excitement. The fifth picture should have a pink color edging the leaf but my camera didn't seem to capture the true color.

Attached Files:

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

I see the same thing in my little maples. They are all "green japanese maples", but their look vary quite a bit. Where did you get the seeds?

M.

3. conifers

conifers Active Member

That first one is awesome!

Congrats,

Dax

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have long marvelled at the variety available in seedlings. No wonder Japanese maples are highly addictive .....

5. conifers

conifers Active Member

Are you kidding me? Nothing like a smooth glass of Johnny Walker Black with a dash of 7up though ...On a day where the sunshine meets the heat and where it's difficult to see as the sun is so blinding.

'No wonder people grow them from seed', to paraphrase...

Dax

6. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Wonderful photos, banjoboy! Thanks so much for sharing them. I love the sheer
    wonderment of germinating seeds & keeping meticulous records of the matrilineal
    line without knowing what new alchemy the patrilineal pollen has brought to the mix.
    I am told it can take up to 8 years to get the genetics truly expressed. The variables
    of new genetics and the subtleties of microclimates make the generativity of germinating my personal favorite part of cultivar collecting. I just noticed a 2005
    seedling of Koto no ito has developed a strong red blush on the last 1/3rd of the
    leaves. That difference came out of nowhere in a few days. In Peter Gregory's new
    pocket guide book, he mentions that Tiger Rose a favorite green reticulate of mine
    was a seedling of the red Azuma murasaki. Who would have thought it except Nature.
    There is a lot of naughty mingling happening in our gardens & how rich we are.

7. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

unfortunately i don't remember where i got all of my seedlings from. the 4th was under a corallinum and the 5th one was collected near a seigai (bonfire). Most were collected in a garden with a least 20 different mature japanese maples nearby. I also gathered maybe 2 dozen sango kaku seedlings along with a handful of viridis babies. I'm excited to see how many develop interesting characteristics.

8. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

While eveyone is talking about seedlings. Is it possible to get a natural dwarf from seed? I have this tiny seedling from Osakazuki which has four sets of healthy leaves, but it tiny. I don't know what to think. Any thoughts?
    Kay Dye

PS Your seedlings sure look healthy and the leaves beautiful. Mine look all scruffy, curled, dried out. This is my first year growing seeds and I think my potting mix was too light and they dried out too much. Do you think that sounds reasonable? I have moved them out into my polyhouse now and put them in a new mix, so hopefully the second growth will come out better. They are just starting to do that now.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Runts often get thrown out at production nurseries, actually many kinds of trees produce slow-growing or weak seedlings. In nature these would get crowded out or killed in some other way, so we seldom see them in the wild either. These two situations would tend to produce a false impression of a species only or mostly producing vigorous seedlings. Where there is a long-practiced saving and nurturing of dwarves and other variants, such as in Japan quite a number of them will have become selected and circulated over time. Thus all the dwarf, cutleaf and variegated Japanese maples that are widely known and grown today.