Photo display sizes

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Gale, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Gale

Gale New Member

Hi, Silver.
    Sorry, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
    Is it ok to post images this big?

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That would be the site's problem, not yours to worry about. Post them any way you can. There is a recommended way, see Attach photos and files, but any way that works will do. We did used to convert large photo displays to a standard size (again, the site can deal with it if it doesn't want large photos), but that coding was removed when we were having problems and hasn't been put back (yet?). I am sure Silver Surfer was not being sarcastic. She emailed me about something else, mentioned the "fab GIANT pic".

This started as a posting in Plants Identification: Help! Weed identification

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Sorry @Gale...that was definitely not sarcasm.
    I really love the new size!!!!
    I wish they were always like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
  4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Right, so generally I've been trying to keep the pics at the postage-stamp size, with only displaying the full-size upon on an action of the viewer to click through and open them at full. I think that might have been done though when we were having issues with image display as one method of reducing strain on the server. Wendy, is that your recollection? The server issue regarding serving images seems to have been resolved, though--at least no one has mentioned anything in a very long time.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I think that was undone when we had the server issue, when you removed any extra coding that could be blamed for the display issues.

I see that now that Silver surfer has got so enthusiastic about the full-size displays and called it to your attention, you have reapplied the coding to prevent that, or are you just reducing large ones when you see them? @Silver surfer, are you aware that you can click the Arrow thing at the upper right on an enlarged photo to see it full page (depending on the original size) in a new window? So scrolling is easier, particularly in threads with a lot of photos if they were added full size, but the option is always there for people who like to see large photos.

6. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Thank you...managed to work that out! Me being sarcastic!
    I just loved seeing the big pics as soon as I went to the thread.
    Scrolling was really easy too...you just scrolled down instead of across.
    Sad to see them shrink to postage stamp again.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2017