Philodendron

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by bigace, Jul 4, 2007.

1. bigace

bigace Active Member

Hi,I have had this for about 12 years and have never seen this happen to it,,any answers out there? I Live in Kansas,SO IT GETS LOTS OF SUN AND GOOD RAIN SHOWERS ! Tom (i do have a Sycomore tree near by and something is eating the leaves on it,,,almost all the leaves have tiny holes in them !)

Attached Files:

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I'm amazed! Do you leave this plant outdoors during the winter in Kansas? This is Philodendron bipinnatifidum Schott ex Endl, commonly called Philodendron selloum. The thing is tropical and you are working a miracle if you leave it outside in your climate zone!

I just wrote a fairly detailed explanation of the plant on this board at this location for another reader:

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=28119&highlight=philodendron

If you're growing this outside year round I'd love to know who you do it!

4. bigace

bigace Active Member

No,No,No,No,,,this plant comes back inside before the first frost and back out after the threat is over in the spring. Someone gave me this about 12 years ago,,it was down in his basement ,in a 22 thousand foot square house,,,he said he didnt have room for it any more! It was'nt near this big when I got it,but we love it !

5. photopro

Whew! Couldn't quite figure that one one. Be prepared, it will get bigger!

6. bigace

bigace Active Member

Sorry,,I still dont know what these small lesions or small holes are on the branches !

7. photopro

I've forwarded your link to an aroid expert in Florida. He knows the diseases and conditions that affect this group quite well. If I get a response, I'll certainly let you know.

8. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

He couldn't fit it into a 22,000 square foot house???? Aside I don't think it is classed as a house at that size, maybe a castle.

9. photopro

Well, your "wounds" are proving to be a mystery. I checked with aroid expert Julius Boos in Florida. Julius has written the published descriptions of species and is extremely well qualified. He is the person most aroiders turn to when they have serious questions. Here is what he wrote, "It has me stumped---does he/she have a cat or ferret? The wounds almost look like bite-wounds/tooth-marks from a small carnivore! Maybe some sort of insect/borer? I`ve not seen this in Florida. The wounds look older, almost healed. Tell him/her to look for FRESH wounds, then try to link the damage to a season/insect/animal??"

Now here is a bit of advice to try. Spray the "wounds" with some good fungicide to prevent any further problems. Then, after that is well dried, spray with a good plant soap. You can buy that at any good garden center. If it is a bug those cautions will likely kill it. Other than that, I'm not sure what to tell you to try!

One bit of hope, this species is really tough. It would take a lot to kill it and the plant looks healthy.

10. BunkyX

BunkyX Active Member

Well, I could make a couple of guesses after viewing the three pics and reading the other posts.

1. Did it happen to tangle with that spurge next to it during the moving process from inside to outside? or possibly another thorny neighbor not shown?

2. Do you have any squirrels that frequent your porch searching for food and climb among the leaves?

I have seen this damage on them before but never gave it much thought since they grew in the yard and nothing other than severe cold seems to affect them. I do believe that your plant's problem in more along the two I mentioned than any type of disease.
    Gene

11. bigace

bigace Active Member

Thanks to all that replied,,,,We will keep an eye out for the varmits and any bugs or mites that might show them self's.
    I actually added on to the house to keep the beast!