Philodendron verrucosum survival

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Sigtris, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Sigtris

Sigtris Active Member

Since this Aroid forum I guess it alright to ask questions about them:
    I had just planted (about 10 days ago) a Philodendron verrucosum, it was about 2 mt. high, and this morning I discovered that a squirrel had cut the stem at the bottom, it is/was trying to climb on a Tabebuia guayacan so I put Sphagnum moss where the roots are trying to attach to the tree. so my question is: Do you think it will survive since it is not in the ground?

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Re: Aroid Forum????

Boy, have I heard this story before! Your squirrels must be related to the squrrels in Florida!

You need to re-root the plant. The fastest way will be to put any of the air roots that remain in some good loose well draining soil and keep it damp. If there are roots visible up the length of the vine it will do no harm, and likely some good, to pack those in sphagnum and keep the moss damp until the plant recovers. It would not be unlikely for the plant to go into shock since it was severed from the root system. But I've often re-rooted this species with very good success. You may loose some leaves, which will be a shame, but chances are not likely you'll loose the plant.

Wish I could tell you how to get rid of the squirrels!!