Philodendron Selloum

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Fiddleleaf7, May 13, 2020.

1. Fiddleleaf7

Fiddleleaf7 New Member

I recently acquired a Philodendron Selloum from a friends garden. They were moving and I was given permission to take a section from her own, which there were several of them covering about a 15 foot radius. I used a very sharp knife and cut diagonally on the roots (the ones that laid on top of the soil and as well as into the dirt where the heart shaped palm-looking trunk was. The palm-looking trunk I took home was about 8 inches long and four inches wide and there were 3 large stems/leaves to the section I took.

Immediately after cutting the roots, I gently wrapped the roots/trunk in a damp rag and immediately planted it in a gallon size pot with soil mixture made for palm plants when I got home. I put it near a window that gets indirect light from the morning sun which lasts only about 3-4 hours at its brightest. I watered the plant with a miracle grow plant food (about 1/4 tsp with a gallon of water). This is all that has been done since removing it from my friend's yard and I am afraid I shocked the plant beyond repair because one of the leaves is predominately yellow now and very wilted, stem pretty thick and sturdy though. A second leaf is still green, but looks yellowish (perhaps in the beginning stages of whatever happened to the first one I just mentioned). The third leaf is as is when I took the plant home.

I am hoping someone can shed some light on what went wrong and how I can save this beautiful plant!

Photo before and now attached. Someone, please help!!

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

3. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Indirect sun for only a few hours seems like vastly too little for a plant that was just growing outdoors. That's almost an impossible transition in light, I think you'll need to get it a LOT more light, right away. Make sure to keep it moist but not water-logged. Never let it sit in water in the tray, but don't let it dry out. That amount of fertilizer is not enough to bother this kind of plant one way or the other, that's within common variations of different potting soils. But still, we usually recommend to wait to fertilize until after it starts sending up new shoots.

4. Fiddleleaf7

Fiddleleaf7 New Member

Thank you both for your input!