Philodendron sagittifolium entering female anthesis!

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by photopro, Jun 6, 2008.

1. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

The event ends visually!

At 2:00AM Sunday morning the event is virtually complete. The spathe is again almost closed and ends at a 45 degree angle. Within a few days it will fall from the axil since pollination did not occur. The lower spathe has yet to open.

The red interior can barely be seen to have faded to a dull orange and no female or male flowers were ever observed. I do not understand what purpose the color and/or color changes within the spathe may indicate.

It would appear this species closes around the pollinating beetles (which we do not have present) while they are mating inside and pollination occurs within the closed spathe tube. Scientifically, the beetles take advantage of this due to added warm during the cool nights in the damp rain forest. Entomologists have observed the added warmth spurs copulation and thus reproduction of the insect species. Observations in the rain forest indicate the presence of the beetle both stimulates and extends the length of the event. In our sterile environment with no pollinator the plant appears to be aware that pollination will not occur.

Please understand, I am neither a botanist nor an entomologist. I have no formal training in this subject and am simply a curious observer who also has been trained as a photographer. Please do not accept anything I write in my personal notes as scientific fact. There are very good books out there including Deni Bown's Aroids, Plants of the Arum Family as well as the scientific text The Genera of Araceae by botanists Dr. Simon Mayo, J. Bogner, and Pete Boyce both of which explain aroid pollination in scientific detail. Both are well researched and the later is accepted scientific knowledge. Please refer to both if you find this subject of interest and/or value.

And that appears to be it for the photos of this event which lasted approximately two days! I may attempt on one of the remaining spathes to collect additional data and photos to fill in the blanks for a new webpage covering this event.

I understand such information is of limited value, and likely only to very serious plant collectors and/or interested aroid collectors and researcher such as myself. If you found this use of space of little value, my apologies. To me it is just something I crave to understand more fully.

And just for the record, the species Philodendron sagittifolium is primarily a Central American Philodendron species which grows quite large. It is found in Mexico, all of Central America and into Venezuela and Colombia in South America. Our largest specimen has climbed to approximately 16 feet within our private "rain forest". During this season it has produced a total of 11 spathe and spadices, 4 of which remain unopened.

If you wish to read about that species, you can find a link here: http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron sagittifolium pc.html

The species is extremely variable and takes on numerous leaf shapes. The spathe and spadix can also possess a totally white interior instead of having the red interior. Even the general shape of the spathe can vary. In some popular texts it is known as "Philodendron mandaianum" which is not a published scientific name but one made up by plant collectors, yet frequently published.

If this information has value to you, please do your research in a qualified scientific text. The text Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 1997, Volume 84, #3 published by aroid botanist Dr. Thomas B. Croat Ph.D., P.A. Schulze Curator of Botany of the Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis, MO. is of immense value to Philodendron researchers. Much of the information I have presented was taken from the pages of that journal written by my friend Dr. Tom Croat who is on the staff of the Missouri Botanical Garden. I will again have the pleasure of spending time with Tom the last weekend in June both in his office and in his private research greenhoues at the Missouri Botanical Garden which is one of North America's most impressive and beautiful gardens complete with an enormous "rain forest under glass". Don't miss any opportunity to visit MOBOT!

If you do find Philodendron species of interest, this link may help you to understand more about the way they grow in nature as well as their care in a home or landscape environment. The information was written with the assistance of Julius Boos, Leland Miyano and Russ Hammer and was based on material provided by Dr. Croat and other scientific sources.

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Grow or Growing Philodendrons.html

Please be aware, many plants that are not Philodendron species are commonly known incorrectly by that name within plant collecting circles. One very common such plant is "Pothos" which is not a Philodendron but rather an Epipremnum species. Many others are incorrectly known by the generic nomer "Philodendron".

And despite what you will read all over the internet, these plants are not poisonous! They do possess a chemical compound known as calcium oxalate crystals which tastes very bad and can cause some mouth irritation due to a variety of raphids found within the compound. A variety of scientific texts discredit the claim Philodendron are "poisonous". Be careful what you read and believe on the internet. Promise, do a seard for the word "Philodendron" right now and at least 20 sites will pop up and claim Philodendron all contain a "deadly poison! At least 500 hospital visits are made every year out of fear someone, especially a child, is about to die of "Philodendron poison". Call poison control or your physician, but do not panic. The symptons will be treated, but no evidence can be located anyone has ever died of "Philodendron poisoning".

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron sagittifolium pc.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  2. photopro

Philodendron sagittifolium cut spathe

Julius Boos asked this morning that I cut the spathe away. Here is the photo of the exposed interior. I would like for him to explain what you are seeing. I've read this material several times but do not feel I am proficient or qualified in making an explanation. I intentionally left the photo oversized so you could scroll up and down to better examine the subject.

As soon as I receive his notes I will add them.

Attached Files:

3. photopro

This is the very important reason I never saw the female flowers!! This explanation came this morning from aroid expert Julius Boos. Read it carefully, it explains a great deal about "what I COULD NOT see!

"It has suddenly occurred to me, based on your comments (Number 4, below) that you are unsure about the actual composition/structure of this bloom, as the female flowers are and were always present, just hidden from your view by the enclosing lower portion or tube of the spathe.
    To assist you, the female zone of flowers which were at anthesis when you were taking these photos, are completely hidden, located in a band at the very bottom on the spadix. Take a quick look at pg. 25 of your big green book, TGOA "B", this is a good drawing of these structures!

This female zone of flowers is located deep down INSIDE the closed portion of the bottom portion of tube of the spathe. What is visible in your photos is the widely open upper portion or limb portion of the spathe, exposing only the upper male portion of the spadix.

I suggest that once you begin to see the pollen, that you take a razor blade and cut the spathe in half vertically, two cuts will be necessary, one on the r.h. side from top to bottom, the other cut on the opposite side, then across the bottom of the front, removing an entire front section. This should leave the spadix fully exposed so that you can re-photograph the bloom and so see and explain the entire structure of both the spathe (top portion or limb) and the bottom structure of the spathe, an actual enclosure named the tube which surrounds and protects the female zone of flowers!
    I hope this helps you to understand the bloom of a unisexual-type aroid, vs. the bisexual blooms of an Anthurium or Spathiphyllum. Oh, I would NOT try tasting the resin of the upper spadix as Hermine suggests!
    The Best, Julius"

The text TGOA refers to The Araceae of Aroids by botanists Dr. Simon Mayo, J. Bogner, and P.C. "Pete" Boyce

I am waiting for Julius' explanation of the last photo above.

4. photopro

This is Julius Boos' excellent explanation of what I could not see. All of this will soon be added to my website page on Philodendron sagittifolium. If you are interested in Philodendron reproduction, read this carefully. It explains a great deal of what I was missing! I've added the photo again so you can examine it as you read

"Steve`s excellent photo is of a typical bisexual aroid`s spadix, in this case the species is Philodendron sagittifolium.

The lower yellowish section is the zone of female flowers, they were hidden within the globular lower portion or chamber/tube of the spathe, and would have been seen to be wet and ''sticky'' earlier on when female anthesis was in progress. They will dry and turn brown shortly. It is not really visible, but just above this female zone is a shorter zone of sterile male flowers, they are thought to be the source of the scent production. This shorter zone is the point at which the spathe is constricted and so closely ''embraces'' the spadix. Above this is the resin covered and stained male section of flowers extending upwards to the tip of the spadix. In this case the spadix is said to be fertile to the tip, but in some Philodendrons and in some other bisexual aroids there is a sterile area of male flowers near the tip, also thought to be involved in scent production. At male anthesis the fertile portion would be seen to be covered in pollen extruded by the male flowers, this pollen under natural conditions in the jungle would adhere to the emerging beetles glued to their shiny surfaces by the resin seen as a reddish stain on this portion of the spadix.

I hope that this is of help in understanding the pollination mechanism of some aroids.
    Thanks for sharing with all of us, Steve. Good Growing,
    "

Attached Files:

5. photopro

Thanks Julus!

Attached Files:

6. photopro

All the information posted in this thread has now been reviewed by aroid botanist Dr. Thomas B. Croat of the Missouri Botanical Garden. Dr. Croat, who is America's top aroid botanist, has added significant information to the webpage in addition to that provided by aroid expert Julius Boos. Additional input has been provided by aroid expert Leland Miyano.

If you care to read the information on the production of a Philodendron spathe and spadix and see all the photographs in an organized fashion, the webpage is here:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron sagittifolium inflorescence.html

My sincere thanks to Dr. Croat for taking the time to provide input as well as review my material. I do appreciate as well the assistance of Julius and Leland.

7. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

wow, steve! the new page on the website turned out nice!

i've found this really fascinating...and appreciate you taking the time to take pics and follow up with the experts and clarifying the info. the pics are phenomenal!

hmm, maybe next time you can attempt pollination? i'd be interested in seeing what happens after the spathe is fertilized!

8. photopro

I appreciate the "vote of confidence" but it the real aroid experts that do and did the work. I just read and write what I'm given.

9. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

you took the time and put great effort into taking the pics over the course of a couple of days (with little sleep). you also took the time to make inquiries about what you didn't understand. and then you took the time to share not just the pics and the info here, you also spent time getting another page up on your website.

you deserve just as much credit for the effort as the experts!

10. photopro

Thanks, but I'd rather give credit where the real credit is due.