Philodendron cordatum is a unique species

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by photopro, Apr 23, 2009.

1. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I found several references tonight on UBC stating the name Philodendron cordatum was a synonym (or vice versa) for Philodendron scandens oxycardium which is correctly Philodendron hederaceum. Scientifically Philodendron cordatum is endemic only to Brazil and is not closely related to Philodendron hederaceum or any of its many synonyms. If you check any of the major scientific data bases (TROPICOS or IPNI) you won't find either plant listed as a synonym for the other.

I'm not certain how this claim became popular but suspect it originated in one of the popular horticultural texts. That notion is nothing more than a horticultural myth. The plants don't look alike and grow in very different ways. I've corresponded a great deal with aroid botanist Dr. Marcus Nadruz who is the director of the Rio de Janeiro Botanical Garden in Brazil and he has confirmed that claim is absolutely incorrect.

The only synonym for Philodendron cordatum Kunth is Arum cordatum which is simply a very old name used when the plant was considered to be in the genus Arum. The common name for Philodendron cordatum is Philodendron Angra dos Reis and the species is primarily a coastal species found growing on rocky shorelines near Rio. The name Angra dos Reis means "King’s Cove" in Portuguese and is a city approximately 150 km (60 miles) southwest of the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Famous for its coastline on the Bay of Ilha Grande with its 365 islands, the name Philodendron Angra dos Reis appears to have been used in a seed list from the late 60's and early 70's according to Harry Luther at Marie Selby Gardens in Florida. The blades can grow large and both the petioles and the midrib often possess purpish spots.

Rather than go into a great deal to try to explain the science of this species you can read it here should you desire:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron cordatum pc.html

The attached photo was provided by the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens in Sarasota, FL and is used with permission.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2020
  2. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

The look of the leaves is somewhat reminiscent of the look of leaves on Philodendron maximum. I'd love to see an inflorescence of P. cordatum to compare the two.

LariAnn

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

4. Penny DeVore

Penny DeVore New Member

Philodendron cordatum inflorescence

Attached Files:

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Penny DeVore likes this.
  6. Penny DeVore

Penny DeVore New Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I apologize for the confusion. It is actually my photo I took yesterday morning. I am a horticulturist at Riverbanks Zoo & Botanical Gardens in Columbia, SC. This is one of the Philodendrons I've been caring for in our greenhouses. I didn't realize I uploaded a screenshot. Here are more of the originals:

Attached Files:

Daniel Mosquin and wcutler like this.
  7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Good photos. Thanks, Penny. And Welcome!

Penny DeVore likes this.
  8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks for sharing those, Penny -- love the spathe on that one!

9. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Beautiful plant, I love it!