Phal not too happy

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by marilena, Jul 3, 2008.

1. marilena

marilena Member

I have just one orchid, a phal. I live in Goa, in the tropics. May was very hot and the rains should have been here by now but they haven't arrived yet. My phal lost its lowest leaf in may. It had a new leaf coming at that pont of time. the new leaf is growing ok. But the leaves are not shint and have very slight ridges. The roots are ok, neither nor black or rotting, but again some are rather flat while others are on the point of having new roots. It flowered in nov and again in may. I hade not cut the spike fully, so it branched out. I still havent cut the spike, and now it has two buds on the new spike and one on the old one. What should I do? And what do I do to improve the quality of the plant? It is in a pot with briken tiles, coal and bits of coconut husk. Please help!

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Sounds as if your plant is OK. I leave the old flower stalks on my phals., because often they will produce more flowers. If the roots are in good condition and you're getting new leaves, buds, and flowers, all should be well. How long has your phal. been in its current pot? Perhaps it would like new potting medium---over time this will break down and become compacted, which inhibits air circulation to the roots. The ridges on the leaves might be heat stress. Keep in mind that if the plant is putting its energy into making buds, it probably won't make a lot of roots. You might try a gentle fertilizer. Good luck!

3. marilena

marilena Member

Thanks! My phal is doing fine now but she is down to two leaves. The rains arrived and the humidity increased and she just loved that. she has stopped flowering though. Have two more phals now. One which had been flowering since March, I think. It has a very long spike and now is branching out again. Flowers on it and two more spikes in the process of growing.Will she be exhausted from continuous flowering? The other one is not in bloom. Have a couple of dens too and one catt. and a cymbidium. The rains are retreating is its going to be big trouble again!
    Well, thanks again.

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for the update! Glad to read that things are well with your orchids. Not to worry with the flowering phal.--enjoy! When she's done, she'll stop and rest. Wow! You have 7 orchids now? That's what happens...you get one, and then another...and soon you are moving the furniture in your house so that the orchids will be happy! Just wondering---where do you get your plants?

5. marilena

marilena Member

Hi There!

Thanks for the swift reply. And yes, orchids are rather addictive. I scout the local nurseries in Goa. You need to be lucky to get some. They're rather hard to come by and rather pricy too. Bought a den, I dont know what she is called-white with a purple lip. She got sick and guess what? most of her roots were rotten! So I repotted her and she is limping back to normal. Thank God. Well, bye, till my next problem comes by.