Phacelia tanacetifolia

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Cindi, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Cindi

Cindi Active Member

I am entering into the beekeeping world. Took courses last spring, bought several packages of bees, hived and nurtured them throughout the summer, fall, winter until now. The other day (Tuesday) when it was so warm and beautiful, the colonies (I only have 3) came out in full force to enjoy the couple of hours of sunshine. Bet they were grateful to get out and rid cleanse themselves, since I don't believe they have been out since near the beginning of November. It was a great day. I was out videotaping them, just for fun, guess one girl was rather annoyed and gave me a lesson on the back of my unveiled head. Never thought I would have to put on my head protection. Anyways, must have been to close and bugged her.

I live on acreage and have a beautiful spot for the apiary and have intensely cleared quite an area in that vicinity. I have spent the entire winter researching flowers that are deemed highly attractive to apis mellifera. I have ordered seed from many different suppliers (I have been in the nursery business for about 15 years, since retired from that last year), so I have an excellent source of seed material available. I have the passion and land for creating amazing forage for my bees.

One plant that is raved about is the blue tansy (phacelia tanacetafolia). I understand that it is very, very attractive to beneficials. I wonder why this plant is not propogated more in the Lower Mainland as a honeyflow that does not seem to end until the frost kills. They do caution, that if one requires pollination of specific fruits or crops that this plant be planted after this honeyflow, as the bees will be more attracted to the tansy.

Has anyone had any experience growing this plant for nectar/and/or pollen? Any good suggestions what else does well in our area. I know borage is another wonderful plant that I planted everywhere that the bees loved to pieces last summer and I look forward to this self-seeding as invasively as it is said to do.