Peyote, peruvian torch graft.

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by lozronz, Jul 10, 2009.

1. lozronz

lozronz Member

Hi! I'v fancied trying my hand and grafting for a while now and today had the good fortune to stumble apon a couple Lophora Williamsii in a garden centre collection for a quid each!!

I have a Peruvian Torch that has gone crazy this year and doubled in size and was wondering about trying a flat graft onto about 3/4 of the way up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I was wondering firstly, whether to put some clonex rooting gel on the cut? Secondly, have I correctly identified each cactus? Thirdly, can i repot the 1/3 left of the Trichocereus peruvianus so as not to waste it and how do you go about this?

Cheers Laurence

Oh! I forgot to mention I'm in the UK so I not breaking any possession laws!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
  2. Trichoserious

Trichoserious Member

I would advise against it. You have beautiful peyote that look like they are already flowering size. Besides your torch is to small to be a good match for your yotes. Grafting is a gamble. If you would like to try your hand at it try grafting cactus seedlings to pereskiopsis. You will love it and it is a good place to build grafting confidence.

3. Luke Harding

Luke Harding Active Member

You mention the pictured Peyote is of flowering size. I was told a while ago that Lophophora can take ages to flower. Mine is smaller than the ones above but has produced 3 huge flowers (in comparison to the size of the plant) in the last week. Is that normal?

4. ErikAgaric

ErikAgaric Member

It is normal for peyote to reach maturity after only a couple years if they are in the right conditions. I've heard of some flowering at only 1.5 inches wide.