Pest(s) eating bark, Help my Mom!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Unregistered, May 9, 2004.

1. My mother has 3 Japanese Red Maples in her yard, The two out front are large 12 ft and 18 ft. No problems. She has a smaller one in the back about 6-7ft. tall that has something eating the bark about 3-4 ft. off the ground. Not big bites so I suspect squirrels. THe obvious question is why and the second question is there anything she can put on the tree to stop the attacks? Any and all posts will be welcomed! Thanks!

Alan

2. AcerBob

AcerBob Member

Well, I know in my yard squirrels love to dig holes around my maples and chew on the bark. The rabbits love the leaves. Grrr, this makes me very upset. If it is indeed squirrels chewing on the bark, you can buy 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch hardware cloth from a hardware store and wrap it around the base of the tree. This will prevent those nasty little teeth from doing their damage. This has worked for me.
    Bob

3. Weedeater ate my maple......

This sounds interesting, A weedeater recently ate around our tree. I assume it is a goner if the bark is gone from around the tree. Does anyone know if this is a fact?

Should I tear it out and start again.... or will the tree survive?

Maybe a squirrel shaped weedeater ate your Mom's bark too?

I had thought a mouse had eaten around the tree, My wife admitted to a viscious weedeater attack.