Perovskia? Fuzzy blue calyces, fragrant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wcutler, Nov 2, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I have several photos of what I am sure are Perovskia atriplicifolia, common name Russian sage; they and what I see on the internet are tidy-looking plants, all upright stems. I thought this looked like and smelled like Artemisia vulgaris, except for the purple fuzzy bits, which look exactly like the calyces of Perovskia atriplicifolia. Is that what this is, and it just looks so messy because its season is over?
    Perovskia-atriplicifolia_MortonPark_Cutler_20201101_112736.jpg Perovskia-atriplicifolia_MortonPark_Cutler_20201101_112743.jpg Perovskia-atriplicifolia_MortonPark_Cutler_20201101_112757.jpg Perovskia-atriplicifolia_MortonPark_Cutler_20201101_112821.jpg

Here is what I figured was Russian Sage. I don't see that I've ever posted it for confirmation.
    PerovskiaAtriplicifolia-RussianSage__EnglishBay_Cutler_20150730_154348.jpg PerovskiaAtriplicifolia_EnglishBay_Cutler_20150806_153026.jpg PerovskiaAtriplicifolia_EnglishBay_Cutler_20150806_153130.jpg

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes it's Russian sage but I have nothing to offer regarding species level identification. And there was a reinterpretation that moved the genus into Salvia.

wcutler likes this.
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Well, I can't say I'll be sorry if that takes. That would be so nice, if we're going to call it sage, that it has the botanical name for sage. Except that Wikipedia says the name is then Salvia yangii. Unless this was P. abrotanoides, in which case it's now Salvia abrotanoides. That should have bi-pinnate leaves. And they hybridize - no mention of what those leaves look like. I've just seen the cultivar name 'Little Spire' given to P. atriplicifolia, P. hybrida and S. abrotanoides. "Russian sage" works for me. Thanks, Ron.