Perhaps harder than it appears on the surface....

Discussion in 'Plants and Biodiversity Stumpers' started by lorax, Jul 24, 2011.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Here you go. Genus and species please, and if you'd like to take a stab at cultivar you're welcome to (although I'm only guessing at that myself - the plant in question came from a lot of mixed seeds).

Attached Files:

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Calendula?

3. lorax

Yup - which species?

And have you grown the ones that rebloom from the centers of the flower before? This was my first time with them, and I think I like them better than the plain-janes.

4. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

No idea! The ones I grow are self-seeding "Pot Marigolds" of entirely unkown parentage that I scrounged. I have an attachment to them that goes back my Grandmother's garden in industrial Northern England. They were one of the bright spots I remember against all that smoky brickwork, gray slate & gray sky.

I have seen a variety of them in garden centres, but I am faithful to my old mongrel stock. The reblooming thing is a bit odd to me, but some "Daisy Type Composites" sprout radial components in their centres. Sorry about the lack of technical jargon, I have never really studied the Compositae or whatever they are called now, in detail.

What's the prize? Free trip to Quito?

5. lorax

Yeah, right. From BC, the cheapest I could do that is just over $1500 CAD, so not gonna happen.

No prize. I was just wondering if anybody had ever seen it before. Those green bits in the center grow a stem behind them and then all poof at the same time. It's quite weird to look at.