Pergola Construction...

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Paulina, May 10, 2006.

1. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    We're having a little difficulty deciding on how to build my planters on the corners of each post of the pergola. Because I run a daycare centre in the back yard, I need the planters to be appr. 3' high so that the kiddies can't pull the plants out and dig in the planters.

Rather than explaining, here's my plan on how the planters will be at each post:
    http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jhtml?.../bhg/story/data/12371.xml&catref=SC781&page=3
    The instructions on #7 tell us to build the planters around the posts, so I'm guessing it would be fine. Just not sure how long the posts would last if they're in moist soil all the time.

The posts are pressure treated wood, and my worry is that the posts might start to rot over time because they're in the planters with soil around them. Any ideas on this? My hubby says we should see if we can find some PVC pipe to slide over the posts so they're not touching the wet soil. Either way, I need to decide before we go on with the pergola.

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Your husband's idea sounds pretty good, but do the posts need to be IN the planters? Couldn't they become one of the corners of the planters? Come to think of it, do the planters have to be there? If so, sounds like lazy design to me, using planters to provide structural integrity to the pergola. I personally don't use that treated stuff anyway, and wouldn't put it into dirt where you might take it into your head to grow tomatoes or other edible crop someday.

3. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Actually, I won't be planting edible plants, just evergreen vines, and maybe some flowers to fill the planters. The reason I need planters is because if I plant things on the ground, the kids will pull them out. And the whole reason for the pergola is to provide shade in our back yard for the kids, hence the planters, hence the vines. The posts are already cemented into the ground, so it's just a matter of how to put planters on without rotting the posts.
    I guess I could put the planters next to the posts, it just makes for more of an obstacle though because the pergola is right in the play area for the kiddies. That is my last resort option though. Thanx.

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Since the posts will be attached to the planters at the interior corners, how much space would you lose by attaching the posts to the exterior of the planters? It would just be the thickness of the planter and the thickness of the post. Maybe 4"?

Newt

5. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

We came up with a solution!! One of our friends works for the city sewer, so we got a sewer pipe just the right diameter to fit around the post, then another pipe about 2' in diameter, that'll be my planter! We'll paint them, or cover them with vertical wood slats, and no one will ever know they're used effluent pipes! eeewww, but they're clean, they've been sitting in the rain for 9 years so the city can't use them.

One man's trash is another's treasure! Looks like I'll have a completed pergola after the weekend. (if the weather is as promised)

6. Newt

Wonderful news!! Hope you get it finished by the end of the weekend.

Newt

7. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Pergola Construction... (update & photos)

Here it is!! The reason the planters are so high is so that my daycare kiddies can't reach them and eat them or pull them out...

Also, don't mind the scraggly awning we threw over it for this summer. Next summer will be much more beautiful with grape vines and other vines climbing their way to the top!!

My hubby is awesome...

Attached Files:

8. Newt

Paulina, that's awsome!!!

Newt

9. lovislikbanana

lovislikbanana Member

It looks awsome, Paulina !! I still want to ask you for some experience about your planters and the posts. How can you maintain or treat with the moisture inside the post 'coz the water for plainters will affect the strength of the posts, doesn't it?

10. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

Paulina! I think I recognize that area. I used to live in Killarney neighbourhood.