Perennial 3' to 6' to go with yellow

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Olafhenny, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

Hi all, I am looking for a back ground plant for a patch which is dominated by yellow and green. Something with 'purpelish' leaves, part shade. I had previously a ligularia przewalskii in this spot and the leaves harmonized quite well, but even the less than half day sun made the leaves shrivel each p.m. I rescued it by placing it into full shade, where it now thrives, but it leaves a gap, where it once was.

My thanks for any suggestions.
    Olaf

2. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

3. Olafhenny

Thank you, L.plant, I am afraid I did a 'post&run' and am only now ready to look into your suggestions. Cimicifuga looks fine, but appears to be hard to get a hold of. I will try to learn more about it and also about others mentioned in this article. I appreciate your reply.
    Best,
    Olaf

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Part year - but what about the Canna lily; a variety with purple leaves?

It might provide texture difference as well as color difference since the leaves are so big.

5. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Try a Rhododendron, a dwarf variety, called R. 'PJM'. In winter the leaves turn a bronwish purple.

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

True enough, if you don't want a perennial, the options increase. Maybe you could post a photo of the spot.

7. Olafhenny

Thank you all for your input and advice. My apologies for abandoning this thread, after rather quickly deciding on ‘Chinese rhubarb’ (rheum palmatum), which I am assured the Bylands Nursery in Westbank will get in shortly. I believe, that it will fill this corner against very high fences rather dramatically.

I had previously a ligularia przewalskii there, but even though the spot only got sun mid- to late afternoon, it was too much for this one. The leaves shrivelled every afternoon only to perk up again overnight. I mercifully relocated it to an even shadier location, where it now thrives.

Thanks again,
    Olaf

8. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Just by way of hammering at a closed barn door, I should have thought earlier of Lig. Britt Marie Crawford. This survives for me, with afternoon drooping, in full sun past noon. It might do better in your location. Otherwise, good luck with the Rheum.

9. Olafhenny

Thanks, Karin!