peperomia obtusifolia help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by chinabeach, Oct 24, 2011.

1. chinabeach

chinabeach Member

Good morning
    I have to questions regarding my plant. First question is that the new leaves that grow are smaller than the old ones and also some leaves fall off for no apparent reason.
    Second question is I also noticed a spot on one of my leaf.

Would appreciate any help
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

On the small-leaf thing, I would suspect a light and/or fertilizer issue. How close is the plant to a light source, and which light source is it? How often do you fertilize, and with what?

My main reference book describes one fungal leaf-spot disease (Cercospora) as being tan or black leaf spots, which are raised on the underside of the leaf and appear sporadically on the plant. Edema ("a physiological disorder wherein the plant takes in too much water, and the excess exudes through the intracellular spaces in the older leaves") is also a possibility, though that would likely be more widespread, and would be happening more on the lower leaves.

Both fungus and edema would indicate that the plant is getting too wet, but unless you're seeing a lot more spots than show up in the photos, honestly, I wouldn't worry about the spots. The whole-plant pictures look healthy to me.

3. chinabeach

chinabeach Member

Thank you for your reply and to your question I am not fertilizing now but during the summer I use all purpose Miracle Grow 8-7-6 which I put 20 drops in my watering can and do this everytime I water. As far as light I have my plants in front of a window which is about the best light I can give them no other space.The spot on the leaf is actually indented and only on that one leaf did a thorough check of the plant and did not find any other edema.

4. Furballs

Furballs Active Member

I have noticed on some plants my mother had that were in the same pots for years on end, that they grew much smaller leaves, despite regular water and feeding. Basically a sort of bonsai effect, from restricted root growth. One of these was an episcia, and after I repotted it earlier this year, the new leaves it put out were up to four times the size of the old ones. It always flowered, and still does, but now it's literally covered with buds and growing like mad. Perhaps your peperomia is very root bound and needs repotting ? Just a thought.

5. chinabeach

chinabeach Member

Thank you I will definitely check to see if it root bound.

6. GailofOz

GailofOz Member

Peperomias don't like being too wet especially when the weather is cold and must have very good drainage. I have mine growing in hanging pots and I feed with slow release plant food a couple of times a year.

I have attached some pictures of my big Peperomia obtusifolia which is in a hanging pot on our veranda. It gets a couple of hours of early morning sun then shade for the rest of the day. The 1st picture was taken a few months ago shortly after we moved house and the lower leaves were marked from the plant sitting on the ground. The 2nd picture is from underneath showing the 20cm (8") diameter pot it is in. The 3rd picture was taken about a year ago at our old house.

Attached Files:

7. chinabeach

chinabeach Member

Wow your peperomias are beautiful. I wish I could hang mine up outside but unfortunately winter is on it's way and it would sure be the death of them. I am limited
    to the space that I can display them in order that they get enough light. I do not water to much just once a week or so, but will definitely be more carefull knowing that they don't like their feet wet.
    Thank you for your help and the nice pictures.