pelargonium cuttings & over-wintering

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by pwhusband@shaw.ca, Sep 12, 2003.

1. pwhusband@shaw.ca

pwhusband@shaw.ca Member

Hello all gardeners, what is best time to take geranium cuttings, and what is the best method of saving plants for the next spring?I read somewhere, to place plants in brown paper bags(?)I have been overwintering them in our warm sunroom by cutting them back and watering every 2 wks. or so, but not in brown paper bags. thank you. Pat

Last edited: Sep 13, 2003
  2. Janice Bobic

Janice Bobic New Member

I have also heard about putting them in brown paper bags, but I had the most success just keeping each plant in a pot without too much soil in front of a window and giving them a little drink occasionally through the winter, until warm enough to put outside again.

3. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

It's whatever works for you in your environment. My aunt would pull them up, knock off the soil, hanging them up in her cellar upside down with the leaves mostly cut off. She wouldn't plant them until they showed sprouting in the spring and there was no chance of frost. But she had a wringer washer in the basement and lived in New England. (Yes, that does mean she carried the used water upstairs to toss out.) I have no basement, have no spring, and would love to find a working wringer washer, just because. Mine stay in ground year round, last a few years each, and I'll take cuttings of varieties I like. Which may root and grow if I keep on top of fungi.

My narcissus bulbs in paper bags dried out down here. Still I try every "no longer winter, but not really spring".

Oh, the wringer washer kept the humidity higher for my aunt.