Pear?? tree identification

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by lkajdan, Aug 3, 2007.

1. lkajdan

lkajdan Member

Hello everyone. I am trying to determine what this fruit tree is. It was sold to me as a Melba Apple tree, but definately isn't an apple. The leaves are glossier and it blooms in early April- weeks before my John Downie crabapple and my 3 other fairly early blooming apple trees. It is approximately 6 years old and has never born fruit. Could it be a pear or Asian pear? I have looked at a local nursery and it seem similar to the Hosui Asian pear tree but I am not 100%. Maybe a plum? I will post photos of leaves. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Probably Pyrus calleryana, an all-too-commonly planted ornamental pear with inedible small fruit. Lone trees rarely produce any fruit as they need cross-pollination, but when two or more cultivars (e.g. 'Bradford', 'Cleveland Select') are close together, plenty of small greenish-brown fruit (diameter 1-2cm) is produced. This often causes invasive regeneration of the species. It is also a very brittle tree, frequently breaking up.

Info: http://www.agnr.umd.edu/ipmnet/5-8art1.htm

3. lkajdan

lkajdan Member

Thanks very much Michael. Bad news. I guess we will have to start over with a new apple tree. This time I will buy one that has fruit on it and be sure or get a local orchardist to start one for me.

If anybody has a different opinion please let me know. Thanks.