patio garden help

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by greenapple82, Feb 21, 2009.

1. greenapple82

greenapple82 Member

Hi
    I live in burnaby, and have a balcony that is 6 feet deep by 14 feet wide. We live on the second floor and face west. I want to plant a bunch of stuff this year, but i don't know what will grow, what the best planter options are etc... we want to grow a container tomato plant, maybe a pepper plant, definitly a bunch of herbs and some other nice things to look at. we have a table and chair set and a bbq that take up about 4 feet by 5 feet of the shady end of the balcony. i was just wondering if anyone has had good luck growing veggies on a balcony, what they grew and any suggestions anyone has.
    we grew a lot of herbs last summer quite successfully, but we want to move onto bigger things.
    thanks for the help

2. JanR

JanR Active Member

It depends on how many hours of full sun that your balcony gets and what time the sun hit your balcony where you would put the plants. Most vegetables need at least 6 hours of sun a day.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Tomatoes and peppers require at least 8 hours but needs 12 hours of direct sunlight in Vancouver in order to bear reasonably vibrant fruits... see the farms in Richmond or SE Marine in Burnaby, tons of all day sun, heat too! place your veggies in the sunniest and protected area that you can spare... how about a window box or an outer planter box on the balcony?
    I have grown many types of veggies on a balcony 25 years ago, and that was because of the all day sun!