Passion Flowers in california

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by link2007, Aug 10, 2007.

1. link2007

link2007 Active Member

What's a good, hardy passion fruit vine that makes nice, edible fruits?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

quadrangularis is a good vatriety if it will grow in you're area mine produced good for two years but almost lost it one winter even here in my part of florida and it just has not recovered the cuttings i have tried to get to grow for myself just have not taken. even though i have grown around 15 cuttings from it and gave them all away now that i want to get a cutting going to plant a new plant there it just refuses to root. guess this one is just to old at 4 years but the fruit is very tasty. not like the small yellow variety i have that is sour sour and even more sour. i have not tried to many other fruiting varietys i do have incense but have never had a fruit on it but the gulf fritliary butterflies love it so i will keep it for them. and sure there are allot of good varietys out there i just have not grown many of them.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

P. edulis, P. mixto (aka P. mollinisima), P. cerulea, and P. incarnata are all good varieties. I, personally, love the P. edulis and P. mixto fruits (granadilla and taxo, respectively) as they're fairly sweet and extremely tasty! Edulis especially; taxo is a bit more tempremental, but worth the trouble to grow.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  5. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Congrats down there is the land of plant plenty! You posted the 100,000th post on UBC yesterday! Daniel has a message about it on another page! Enjoy your posts!