Passiflora

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by becky1120, Apr 26, 2008.

1. becky1120

becky1120 Member

I've just acquired a new one, and as I'm attempting to cultivate a green thumb, I'd like any suggestions on keeping it thriving. I've not attempted nor had I even seen a plant like it before today. Titled "passion vine" plant identification called it passiflora, hence me hoping this is the right location to plead for assistance :)

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Perhaps eastern native P. incarnata is hardy there, I don't know. I do know all others you might acquire at a nursery would have to be grown as greenhouse plants there.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'm with Ron - you're probably going to have to keep it indoors. Can you post a picture of the plant? This might help us narrow it down to a species.

Other than tenderness to your outdoor temperatures spring, fall, and winter, Passiflora are fairly easy to grow. They're vines, so if you have something for them to climb or run along (like trellis) they'll be much happier. Most Passiflora prefer mixed sun - they can burn in hot afternoon sun, but planted where they receive direct morning sun they seem to do OK. The flowers attract bees.

My Passiflora are very fast growers - about 6 inches a week, unless we get a whole week of rain, at which point they grow faster. I grow seven varieties, some of which provide me with fruit, but I also live in the tropics, so I have no die-off season....

4. becky1120

becky1120 Member

Well Lorax I didn't get to see your posting until this evening, but I've been hard at work on the plant since I posted the thread.

Although its in a pot, it does seem to be thriving around my deck railing. It is receiving mixed sun, direct in the morning, more shade in the afternoon. It does seem to thrive more with constantly moist soil, although I am still seeing small patches of brown leaves.

I've got lots of buds, and some blooms. The blooms though, seem to open and close? I'm wondering if thats because we have had intermittent temperature drops lately or just how the plant works.

I'm going to post some pictures hopefully tomorrow to give you a more clear idea what I'm dealing with. Thanks for the help so far though! I appreciate it!!

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Well, with the three varieties I've grown (Granadilla, Maracuya, and Taxo) the flowers tend to open in the morning, and close in the evening. For about three days, then if they're pollinated they set fruit, and if not they fall off the vine.