Passiflora Caerulea

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by Durgan, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

2. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Yours is way ahead of mine which is only just starting to produce leaves. When it gets going though.... The flowers look so exotic and yet the vine grows like a weed.
    Loved the photos of the Hamilton gardens.
    Margaret

3. Durgan

My Passion Plant is taken inside during the winter, and kept in a semi-dormant state until about February, when I start watering it more thoroughly. I surmise that in you area you leave it in the ground all year.
    Durgan.

4. MamaBenita

MamaBenita Member

Dear Durgan,

I managed to kill a Passionflower over the winter. I am wondering if you can be more specific about 'semi-dormancy' and how to achieve it. I purchased more this year and would dearly love to keep them thriving for years to come!

I love your pictures, information, and curiosity (upside-down tomatoes are a case in point). Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Benita

5. Durgan

Just before a hard frost usually about 15 October, I take the plant out of its pot and wash a bit of dirt off the roots and cut back to about six inches above the surface and repot (16 inch pot) in new soil, then let is dry out to a large degree. Shoots start to grow enough to notice that it is alive. I give it a little water now and then, but if the shoots get too long I cut back again. About February I give it plenty of water and it slowly starts growing in earnest. It is a slow grower at the beginning. I store it in the furnace room with a bit of light coming in the window. In March I put it in the greenhouse, which is kept always above 10 degrees C. in full light and it takes off. It cannot withstand heavy frosts on the leaves. I mostly ignore it and push it out of the way under a table and let it do its thing.
    Durgan.

6. MamaBenita

MamaBenita Member

Thank you so much for your reply and your very easily understandable instructions! I will treat it sort of like the lovely purple shamrock I've managed to keep over the winter for about 10 years, now. Would this treatment also work for Fuchsia and Pelargonium? I do well with overwintering Dahlias, but have never tried plants with roots instead of tubers.

Again, I thank you. I have no greenhouse, just a sunny south window, and a relatively cool basement that has some light. I figure this should work, and is worth a try, at least!

Benita