Parasites on Thuja Cedar Trees

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Rainy, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Rainy

Rainy Member

Last spring we plants a # of Thuja type cedar trees - I think we have done a good job with them (we have planted quite successfully before - different home/different location).

However with these trees we find we slowly lose them - browning of greenery and thinning of the tree overall.

I took a piece of plain white paper up to the tree and ruffled the branches and a lot of little,slightly reddish bugs came on to the paper.

Are these a problem? Do I have to treat and if so how?

Thank you
    Lorraine

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

could be red spider mites.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Or predator mites.

4. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

When you shake the bugs onto the paper, you must flip the paper on its side, and only the mites will stick to it. The red spider mites that do the damage are so tiny that you have to smear you hand across the paper and count the blood streaks. But just b4 that, look for some tiny but visual round black mites that will slowly be moving, they are your predator mites. If you have 1 black mite for every 10 or so blood streaks, I wouldnt suggest spraying, you will upset the balance even more. Out door mites are a nightmare to control. Lime sulphur in the dormant season works about the best on evergreens. Now after all that from what you describe, it doesn't sound anything like mite damage. They will only target portions of the plant, cedars will first get a greyish look around the infested area "usually on a hot sunny area", kinda like they were growing along a gravel road. Next the area gets orange and oranger, then winter comes and it get green again. And maybe next year there will be more preditor mites and no visual damage. Not ever have I seen mites thining the overall tree then killing it. Now thats just my past expierence, Jim.

5. Rainy

Rainy Member

Thank you for your response.

I agree with your description rather my own original description. I don't think I saw any predator mites. But I will certainly check again.

On the subject of parasites. Would you happen to know what the green soft bugs are that have infested the honey locust tree that we have? I went to prune this tree recently and when I touched the branch I literally got a shower in these soft bodies green bugs.

thanks again
    Rainy

6. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Not to sure off hand on the green bugs, possibly some sort of leaf hopper? If it is a concern to the tree's health you could post a pic, but most likely just a thankful little insect to have a home.