Palm trees in planters?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by engteach43, Mar 15, 2008.

1. engteach43

engteach43 Member

I am looking for advice on whether or not either a queen palm or washingtonia robusta palm would survive if planted in a planter instead of in the ground. I am looking to create some privacy between our backyard and the neighbors. We have a pool and the deck extends all the way to the fence, so there's no soil to plant anything in, so I was going to either build or buy a large planter and plant some trees in it. I'm in Arizona so palm trees are very popular and I like their look, but I don't want to invest time and money into planting them in a big planter if they aren't going to survive. Any advice would be great.

2. sudbury

sudbury Active Member

I dont know about surviving in the planter but I do know that the Washingtonia robusta would eventually get very tall with a large base and potentially outgrow the allotted area. I say this because you mentioned that the you had limited room. An alternative to palms could be bamboo in a planter, since this could create the desired tropical look and be an effective barrier between the two yards. Hope that helps.