Palm tree fungus

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Unregistered, Jan 23, 2005.

1. I live in Flordia and have a lot of palm trees. I notices the other day that two of my plam trees have green mold or fungus growing on them. It looks like the mold started in the middle and it working its way up. Is this mold or fungus okay or should the tree be removed? Thanks

2. bjohnson

bjohnson Member

I have same problem and have been unsuccessful in obtaining any information. Does someone know what this is and what is the solution.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Any chance of a photo?

Is it definitely a fungus, or could it be harmless moss / algae / lichens?

4. Palmkiller

Palmkiller Member

I live in Coquitlam BC and purchased 2- 15 gallon washington robusta (mexican fan palms) at Costco last spring. We planted them in a south facing garden. They were really doing very well and actually grew a couple of feet over the spring and summer. But when the threat of cold weather was setting in, I called a local nursery they told me to shield them from cold wind and put a flood light on them for heat. My husband built a plywood enclosure for them with the top open and placed a flood light in the enclosure that we only turn on if its below 5 degrees C . The problem is that now the leaves have all turned really dark green with brown spots and the stalk growing from the middle has white fuzz growing on it. Does anyone know what I can do for these poor trees? I have never had any luck with Palms and I really do feel like a palm killer. Please , if anyone knows what to do let me know !!!!!!!!!HELP

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Soil plays a big roll in how these Washingtonia robusta over-winter. Heavier soils produce the conditions that your palm is experiencing. "White fuzz" isn't good and you'll have to use a copper based fungicide before the center spear growth rots. It will be dead by spring otherwise.
    Air circulation is critical as well. If excellent drainage and a protective cover are in place, artifical heat is not needed in most cases but could be benifical during extremes below minus 6 centigrade (20f).

Here's what I do. A 6 mil poly enclosure open on the back side, capable of being closed only during worst weather. I bungee cord the fronds together to save space. Superior drainage which comes naturally here is paramount. I have dry burlap on hand to wrap the trunk and center growth if temps dip below about -6c (20f). Removed ASAP once the weather breaks. No supplimental heat required.

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

6. Palmkiller

Palmkiller Member

Thanks for the information, I'm off to Art Knapps now to buy the fungicide. Happy New Year.

7. Palmfan

Palmfan Member

Hi Palmtree killer

I had the same thing exacally happen same plant and from cosco. how did the cooper fungicide work out for you?

8. Palmkiller

Palmkiller Member

It seems to have saved one , I'm not sure about the second one, looks like the centre frond is rotting badly, which is not a good sign. I'm hopeful that I have a least saved one, the centre front looks quite green, but the rest of the fronds are very brown and ugly, I will probably have to cut it right back in the spring.
    Good luck with yours.
    Palmkiller

9. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Mine that is protected in the shelter (pic in above post) has not suffered the slightest. No leaf burn, center spear rot, nada. I'm knocking on wood right now.
    Palmkiller ... nice thing is, they grow fairly fast once the weather warms up.

Cheers, LPN.

10. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Palmkiller: Unlike an oak tree which has myriad growth buds, (trim it any way any time and it will keep chugging along), your palm only has one growth bud. That bud is in the top center of its stalk, or trunk. If that seems to be decaying on one of the trees, you may well have lost that one.

11. ED DEPAUL

ED DEPAUL Member

iHAVE A COCOA PALM THE TREE IS IN SAINTPETE FL, THE FRONGS ARE ARE DYING FROM THE OUTER ENDS INWARD PRETTY RAPIDLY DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT MIGHT BE GOING ON AND WHAT IS THERE TO DO TO TREAT IT THANKS

12. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Water, fertilizer labeled PALM, and Epsom Salts from the drug store. Spread the latter two by hand (just like grandma used to feed the chickens,) i.e., just sling it around the bottom of the tree, about 6 to 8 feet from the trunk to define a 12 to16 foot circle with the trunk in the center of it. I would use 5 pounds of fert. and the entire two quart container of Epsom in that area. Then water it in well, but not so profusely that you wash it all away. Gentle spray mist is what you want, and for an extended period of time to ascertain that the ground is soaked deeply, and repeat a couple of times a week for three weeks. (I live across the bay on Anna Maria Island and I know how dry we have been.) All that having been said, it is customary for the frond tips to brown first, and then have the frond progressively turn brown. The tree will only support so many fronds, and if it has healthy growth, you will be trimming it more frequently. Good luck.

13. bothretired

bothretired Member

The discription fits my trees. How do I treat it?
    Thank You,
    Bill