Palm identification Please help

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by pierrot, Feb 8, 2007.

1. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

Hello everyone

I am sorry to say I am not a palm expert but people keep sending me photos of palms to identify.

My Mother took these and being her favourite (?) botanist she though I could ID them. Big Palms were my ID but sarcasm does not always work on ones mother!! I am told were taken at Kew in the palm house.

if anyone could ID the palms or point me in the right direction I'd regain the position of Mothers favourite botanist.

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

hi (for me) left: Dasylirion serratifolium, no pamls but succulent middle: Archontophoenix alexandrae, right:Phonenix robelenii good luck favourite botanist alex

3. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

Alex66

thank you for the identification. My mother is a palm nut and so you have become her favourite now!!

4. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

First one could be Dasylirion, but may alternatively be one of the Australian Xanthorrhoea spp. All Dasylirion spp. except D. quadrangulatum have leaves with marginal teeth, whereas Xanthorrhoeas have no teeth visible to the naked eye.

I think the second palm is more likely to be Dictyosperma album. Behind it is a tall specimen of the cycad Lepidozamia peroffskyana.

The palm in the third pic is Dypsis decaryi (Neodypsis decaryi is a synonym)