Palm frawns browning- Is it dying?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Trent Spangler, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Trent Spangler

Trent Spangler Member

Palm fronds browning- Is it dying?

I just bought my new property with a beautiful palm in the back about 5 monthsago. I don't know what type it is, so if anyone knows that, it would be helpful. It has been doing well until recently. Now the palm fronds are starting to brown and I don't know why. I don't believe that I am over watering as I have adjusted my sprinklers to water just enough not have my grass die. I fertilize the grass around the palm about once a month with miracle grow. But I wouldn't think that is the cause due to the size of the huge palm. (About 18ft tall). I wondered if I need to trim the bottom fronds, if this would help?

So I'm at a loss.
    I have attached photos hoping that may help anyone who may know what action I need to take. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for you time.

Trent

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Seek local guidance. Clip some fronds and take them to an independent garden center or Extension office.

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

What you have is Phoenix canariensis or what's commonly called, Canary Island Date Palm. The lower leaves will eventually begin to fade while new ones emerge from the top. Trim these as required but don't remove them before they show obvious signs of deterioration.
    There are palm & cycad societies in California and perhap there's a local member that is willing to visit your garden and give you some first hand advise.

4. Crystalized

Crystalized Member

How is your Canary Island Date Palm Tree doing now?

5. Trent Spangler

Trent Spangler Member

It's doing great thanks for asking. It seems the mixture for the sod that had been laid down had too much fertilizer in it causing the frawns to brown. But my new gardener has it looking GREAT!

:-)