Palm/draceana seeds in cold

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Canadianplant, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

I was thinking of getting a shipment of palm seeds and some draceana seeds. I was just wondering how the seeds will take the cold up here. Theyd be sitting in a mail box fer a few hours possibly.

Thanks

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

They'll be okay, depending on variety. Some palm seed will remain fresh for a reasonable time and may not strike until warmer temps. A Wodyetia seed plant here in Feb won't generally sprout until Sept but if planted in August will be up by Nov/Dec. A Hyophorbe seed can take several years to germinate whereas Dypsis need to be fresh and so on...
    As for Dracena I would probably advise waiting for warmer weather.

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

I hope someone has the definitive answer on this, but I would be worried about the larger palm seeds with obvious moisture in them, like a jubaea seed. Chungii might not understand the sort of conditions we have here, especially in the Calgary area this time of year. These seeds will definitely freeze solid, possibly freeze and thaw during the mail delivery process...what happens in the cargo plane that carries these packages I wonder? We are experiencing record cold even on the west coast of Canada, and Canadianplant will be seeing quite a bit cooler than us.

Many seeds are fine with freezing, indeed that can be a good way to store them longterm (as in the Spitzbergen seed ark) but as I said before, how can that be very good for something large and watery like the jubaea or butia(basically a mini-coconut)?

I'm hoping for some expert input on this one, it could apply to many of us ordering seeds from time to time.

4. Canadianplant

theyl be more like chameadorea and some phoenix robelinii seeds. There were some very nice drecaenas, as ive said. Ill probably stick to smaller seeds for shiping purpuses. I have to take a good look at the list again to get a final list of what i want. IT changes every 3 weeks or so.

And, I would also like an expert opinion on this as well.

Thanks Guys

5. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

What I sad was a pretty vague generalisation perhaps if you could state species you want it would be easier to say yes or no. I understand it freezes where you are and like I said it will depend on the species. Butia from what I know will handle pretty extreme temperatures. Sabal palms will and Pheonix roebelinii should do okay, European fan and chinese fan palms are grow in cold also. As for Chamaedorea I don't like your chances. Look into frost and snow hardy palms because it will be a continuos struggle trying to grow something that won't take it.
    I have spent a few years in a wholesale palm nursery and although we didn't encounter snow we got a lot of feedback from growers who did.
    If all you are worried about is the few hours chilling while being transferred in mailing process then again I would not worry. Place the seed into a bucket of warm water to help take chill of. Most palm seed will benefit from a overnight soaking in water and stripping flesh off seed before planting anyway.
    The main thing I was trying to point out was that the seed is less likely to germinate through the winter. I have seen a shadehouse turned into a hothouse with heating for seedlings sensitive to the cold. If you have a decent set up that can give the seed an environment like it would through the warmer months then you will manage. The only problem then will be next year protecting the very sensitive young seedlings. Look into the variety of palm you want before buying something that just won't grow for you, there are a few frost hardy ones to chose from.

6. Canadianplant

Well the plus is, i have a snake and his take is around 80 on the hot side. But im assuming you mean "theyll have trouble germinating in the winter" becasue of the fact its winter, not temprature. So I dont waste my money ill prpably wait for it to warm up. ITs been very cold here as far as calgary goes, and lots of snow.....

7. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Temperature is pretty important. If you are able to recreate constant warm temperatures giving your palms a well lit environment they'll do well. Because most palms grow in rainforests they don't actually see a lot of sun until they are trees. Many palms make excellent indoor plants while young for that reason.
    The important thing is to really protect the seedlings for the first few years until they become somewhat established. Palms that can grow well in cold area can at times be hard to grow from seed because cold winters will do too much damage to the seedlings unless they are very protected. There are palms that grow well here as more advanced plants but are not worth growing from seed because you loose too many through the cooler months. By the time the plants are ready for sale you'd have saved time, space, effort and money buying in more advanced stock right from the start.

8. Canadianplant

None of these guys are gonna be outside for the winter, thank god. Lots indoors, although the selection of palms from stores is limited in canada. I did find a cameadorea cataractarum here. And of all things, my majesty palm, even though the first 6 moths ive had it it looked like it was dying a slow horrible death, has opened up 3 new leaves! Its growing very well. Dunno what im doing special for it lol.

9. castawaykev

castawaykev Active Member

I am looking to grow some palm trees up here in Prince Edward Island Canada. Our cold is moderate, zone 5 ...so minus 20c at max and -10 c on average for Jan and Feb. However lately (over the last few years) it hasn't been colder than -15 and averages -5c (just below freezing)..for Jan and Feb and at night in March. What I want are some seeds for cold hardy Palms. I love Palm trees...have always. If anyone has any info or seeds I would be grateful. Kevin

10. Canadianplant

Rarepalmseeds.com THe Needle palm, and mabey trachys or sabal palms...... i doubt it. But if i were you I would try it, just becasue :)

11. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I've seen and heard of Sabal minor buried in snow and also Butia capitata covered in snow Trachycarpus wagnerianus and fortunei do well also. Like I was saying earlier the hardest part of growing palms in extreme cold temps is protecting the young palms until they have developed enough to be able to survive on their own.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  12. castawaykev

castawaykev Active Member

Great and thanks everyone for all your info!

Castawaykev