Palm and cyad questions.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by bishkinbashkin, Jun 13, 2005.

1. bishkinbashkin

bishkinbashkin Member

Hey, im from abbotsford BC. I have two windmill palms that have two windmill palms in my yard that are doing awesome, no damage at all has occured over this winter.... anyways i was just wondering if there are any other palms that can grow here in abbotsford. I have heard of the rare needle palm in the lower mainland but i was wondering if they would survive here. Also i saw a sago palm planted in the ground at a coffee shop here and it appeared to be doing good.... Do they survive here too !?!?!?! anyways just let me know if you know of any other palms that i could add to my outdoor collection :D

2. seahawks2884

seahawks2884 Member

Hi if you go to rarepalmseeds.com they have a whole selection of cold hardy palms with pics and a guide to how cold tolerent they are . Amazing to see how many cold hardy palms can grow in B.C.! Needle palm is even more cold hardy than the trachy so you should have no problem with it.

3. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

Be carefull alot of palms can take our temperatures but not the rain - Try a trachycarpus
    Takil (very rare) and cold tolerant - 21c will grow well here. I have 2 - plants 30cm tall
    see tropic.ca he had some for sale.

I would like to find
    a Serenoa Repens (saw palmetto) to try here good to -20c and the nuts are edible - a low growing palm so if anyone has a line on these in the lower mainland please advise.