Pacific NW, looking for slow growing tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Unregistered, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Hi,
    I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions. I bought an old 50's house. It has one of those huge front windows, and it has a small yard in front. Front the big front window to the sidewalk is only about 20-25 ft and although I have blinds, you can still see in. I feel like I live in a fish bowl. I was wondering about a few small trees/shrubs that would grow about or stay about 8 ft high? Would a weeping cherry tree do? I love the white bark(maples) and the quivering maples, but not sure how fast or how high they get. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I have a pic, but I can't send it yet. I plan to register pretty quick here.
    Thanks,
    Janet
    koolerbear2@yahoo.com

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

consider a Styrax japonica or Styrax obassia. they certainly wont stay 8 feet tall but they arent that fast growing and can be managed fairly easily.

3. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

I like Styrax Japonica too, however ultimate height and spread is about 25 feet. There is a weeping form ('Pendula') listed at 8-12 feet. You might also consider one of the many Service Berry trees (Amelanchier species).

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

There are Styrax in western Washington more than double that 25 foot height. For typical screening situations you have to split the difference between waiting for something that will mature (nothing will stop completely) at the desired height and density - like yew, holly or box - and something that will get there in less than 20 years. Maybe Myrica californica, Arbutus unedo or Rhamnus alaternus would suit your purpose. Plant a variety of things and you will have more interest than a row of one kind, plus if one kind fails the whole screen isn't lost.