Identification: P. verecunda and other single white mysteries, mid-season

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Douglas Justice, May 4, 2008.

1. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

[Edited by wcutler: this conversation started in the Takasago thread; in this thread, I've removed the first two paragraphs that were about Takasago.]
    ... I was calling Korean hill cherry P. verucunda for years, until I actually looked at it. Now, I prefer to use P. speciosa var. pubescens, as the tree seems to differ so little from Japanese hill cherry (P. speciosa) except in the degree of pubescence and a few other minor characters. But again, I'm willing to entertain another point of view, as long as it's coherent and based on solid evidence.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2009
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

P. verecunda or not - single whites, mid-season

Speaking of P. verecunda the two at the Loyal Heights Neighborhood Center were packed with flowers this month, making them look much more like other species than usual - flowers also seemed less cross-shaped than usual, more like others in outline and presentation. P. jamasakura planted at the same facility is well along in leaf, almost fully developed but still coppery.

3. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Takasago – double pale pinks, green leaves, vase shaped, mid-season

So you're saying I'm okay to call Korean hill P. speciosa var. pubescens this year, but I should revert to P. verucunda in a normal year? I'm getting punchy here. For what it's worth, this is the tree at VanDusen Garden that was labeled 'Okame' that I think is Korean hill. The tree is quite umbrella-shaped, although overgrown by an out-of-control shrubbery and between a horribly disfigured 'Jo-nioi' and a beautiful Japanese hill cherry (P. speciosa var. spontanea). Comments?

Sorry about posting it here. Clearly, these images are not 'Takasago' (nor, indeed, 'Okame'), so should be relegated to a thread of their own.

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not another cultivar? In these shots it looks like a sato cherry, with large broad petals and bunches of flowers with spaces between them. Teething, serrations, surfaces and dimensions all correct for a wild cherry like Korean hill cherry?

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Why wouldn't this be Oshima (Prunus speciosa)? Dingren and Martin posted photos of what I think is the same tree.