Overwintering Tree Collection Above Ground

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by scross1, Sep 6, 2006.

1. scross1

scross1 Active Member

Hello,
    I am in the process of selling my house and I am taking my tree collection with me. I am looking for a means to store my trees safely above ground over the winter. I was looking at purchasing a large cold frame, but I was not sure as to other options or suggestions as to equipment, etc... My collection contains over 100 varieties of trees including snake bark maples, japanese maples, magnolias, oaks, peonies, azaleas, rhododendrons, and other ornamental trees. I want to make sure that they make it through the winter he in NJ, while I am selling my house and moving into a new one. I am technically in Zone 6, but am a little warmer due to living close to a city. Let me know if you need any more information or questions.

Thanks

Scott C
    Hamilton, NJ 08610

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2006
  2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

depending on the size(s) I would suggest to dig them , ball in burlap them then heel them in nice fluffy sawdust or shavings so you can water them until move time.

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

Or find a local greenhouse that will take them for a nominal fee - but get refs first to make sure they will care for them and not just leave them in the back 40 some place.

4. scross1

scross1 Active Member

I have tried to look for a greenhouse that will take them, but the cost is a little high for the amount of space I will be taking up. One thing that I forgot to mention is that all of the trees are in containers of some type. Smaller trees are in a pot in pot system, larger trees (1" caliper +) are in root control bags. I would ove to be able to dig them in somewhere, but while I am trying to sell my house I will not have anywhere to dig a hole that big. I was wondering if anyone had experience setting up a cold frame/high tunnel to protect for the winter?

5. Rima

Rima Active Member

All your trees (mentioned) should be ok where you are, but if some of the pots are small, make a 'fort' with hay bales, and mulch all around the pots, but don't be afraid of snow as it's a great insulator and waters the plants naturally when soil thaws and dries enough to need it. If you have a choice, however, do the fort on the north side of your place to help avoid freeze-thaw problems in spring which are worse than just freezing any day.

6. plantlady62

plantlady62 Active Member

I aggree with Rima. I've worked in garden centers for 20 years now and whenever we had trees and shrubs to winter ove this is basically how we treated them. We had very few casulties, esp. in years where there was a good snow cover.