Overwintering onions

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Keke, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

Hi all -- I'd like to try overwintering onions (eg. Walla Wallas) this year. Anyone tried it? Anyone have tips to share?

I have what I think is a perfect spot (was broad beans), and I have the ability to begin amending the soil immediately if necessary. The West Coast Seeds catalog says they should be planted in August, but I don't know if that means direct-seeded or as transplants. If it's transplants I'd better seed them soon to make the planting date.
    thanks in advance
    keke

2. scottg

scottg Active Member

Good question, I'm gonna try this myself this year. I'm gonna try Steve Solomon's way of planting a nursury bed in August and transplanting them individualy in the spring. It is suggested to not plant them too early or to feed them too much this fall or they may bolt in the spring if they are too big.

3. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

I've done a bit more research and the general consensus is they should be seeded in place in August and thinned as scallions until February. Then leave them alone and let 'em go. So I'll give it a whirl. Maybe if you try the transplant route, Scott, we'll compare notes next spring.
    keke

4. juniejane

juniejane Member

I planted onions last spring (2008) and they didn't grow hardly at all. They were in a place that I kept forgetting about and they didn't get watered. In fact, I thought they all died. Well, this spring I noticed they were growing. And they have gotten really big. I'm not sure when to harvest them, though. They have bloomed and are partially sticking out of the ground. They aren't as big as I would like them to be. Should I just let them go until this fall or pull them any time?

5. JanR

JanR Active Member

I think you should wait to harvest them until the tops start to fall over and go brown.

6. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

I have tried planting in August and most of them bolted. I have better luck seeding them in pots inside in January, moving them out to a cold frame in early March, then transplanting in late March or early April. If you do want to plant now, wait until the last week of August or even til the middle of September- if they are too big when winter comes, they will all bolt in the spring and you won't get nice big onions, just woody flower stalks.