Overly rampant Lamium and similar groundcover

Discussion in 'Groundcovers' started by janetdoyle, Aug 30, 2007.

1. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I planted a Lamium called "white Nancy" which took over other groundcovers planted in an "experimental" bed adjoining a patio... warning to any others... the condo landscaper is going to use my discards to plant a border under some distant trees. A similar slightly taller groundcover with green and white variegated leaves also, Lamiastrum galeobdolon "Yellow Archangel", I planted at the edge of the Lamium, and it was doing exactly the same thing, both would have covered the whole patio... however it too is to be planted elsewhere where there is more scope for it...

I did read warnings somewhere, but thought the area was so infertile that it wouldn't take over. However, other groundcovers like bog cranberry I planted are coming along nicely now that the top cover is removed. A few small thymes did not survive under the Lamium and the yellow archangel, but I noticed that a cranesbill geranium which was labelled a growndcover plant is also doing well and should improve now the rampant ones are gone.

Observation: the native groundcovers like kinnikkinnick and bog cranberry seem to take a very long time to "take", and are only now showing some spirit, having been planted in spring/early summer. Perhaps they do a fall growth spurt, it being rather fall-like now...

2. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

I planted arch angel, but I think in a hanging pot. Then the seeds took over and it was growing everywhere in a garden bed that is shaded and under pine trees. The flowers are beautiful, but the plant takes over my othe lamiums! Such as Shell pink and hostas, coral bells, etc. I have used Weed B' Gone on them and they died, but you have to be vigilant as you might not have gotten some of the seeds. Now I pull them out, cut off the flowers before any seeds form, and just keep it at bay.

Another plant that will take over a more non agressive lamium is Sweet Woodruff. Which I love very much, it seems it needs to be divided more often. It does have very tight running roost. Which is great when you want to make divisions and fill up an area.

It does get a lot of moisture and probably the fertilizer for 3 clematis that grow by it.
    I received it from a friend who had Johnson's Blue hardy geranium, a Japanese Maple, and maybe a bamboo. It is sited on the east side of the house and all of the plants grow very nicely in that position.

3. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

I would advise if you have False Lamium/Yellow Archangel in your pots or gardens to rip it out and put it in the garbage bin. I am presently trying to eradicate the foul stuff in a park in my neighbourhood:

http://westernwilson.googlepages.com/falselamium

Once it gets loose it is HUGELY successful and smothers out everything else.

I wish the nursery trade would stop selling the stuff. It is in practically every hanging flower basket I see.

4. janetdoyle

The Lamium I have is now vigorous in an area that is fine for it, although I have to admit it does spread! I have removed it where I didn't want it. And, I do recommend great caution with it. HOWEVER there is ANOTHER groundcover which looks like a nice, gentle, non-aggressive Lamium or Archangel which I will recommend:

It is Variegated Mountain Speedwell [Veronica montana "Corinne Tremaine" on a pot label I saw] which looks the same when the Lamium is young and innocent, but lies much flatter, produces dainty little pale blue flowers now and then which rise up maybe 3 inches from the flat foliage on the ground... and is a lovely, bright pale yellow-green with with whitish-pale yellow variegation, very soft and pretty...

May be hard to find unless you're lucky --

5. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

That plant was suggested by our landscape designer; she said she'd seen it used and it was really beautiful in a massed grouping. I could only find this photo:

Attached Files:

6. janetdoyle

I STILL do not have a digital camera after one drowned, so can't photograph my Variegated Mountain Speedwell at the moment, but that picture is sort of dark-looking compared to reality -- it is really light-coloured and stands out from a distance as light coloured, and makes a very nice groundcover. The leaves are fairly small, not as large as Lamium, the whole thing looks more delicate, and it does stay evergreen in winter but in a slightly subdued [but not brownish] way [which Lamium does not do here, at least mine dies back and disappears entirely until spring] . There is a nursery I know of in Saanich across the water from you if I remember correctly what your home base was shown as, which had it in a couple of gallon pots -- I only saw two samples -- and I have purchased a second pot there which is with me still unplanted -- a gallon-sized pot. If you are desperate to have it you can, if you are coming over this way... but let me know soon as I don't want to leave it in the pot too long. Since it doesn't spread too fast it may not be enough for you, anyway... I had only had one pot to start with last year, and it has not spread very far but stays very nice.

Send me a private email message [my profile permits it] and I'll send you the name of the nursery, if you want to order some from them, they might oblige. We aren't supposed to promote nurseries in this forum...

7. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Yes, I bought the variegated speedwell and didn't get it planted in time, but would like another try again. I love creeping speedwell.