Organic Seeds

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by JanR, Jan 6, 2009.

1. JanR

JanR Active Member

How important is it to grow vegetables from organic seed? Does it make a difference in the final product? Can the vegetables produced from non-organic seed actually contain any trace of pesticides that had been used on the original plant?

I am about to start ordering seeds for this year. Some seeds are available as organic ones. Is is worth paying the extra???

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

No difference in my opinion, and I've seen no evidence that there is. If you're concerned about chemicals, only real issue with seeds is whether or not they've been treated with fungicide, etc. Most companies will list such information, however. Aside from possible regulations for certified organic growers that stipulate the necessity of organic seed,you will be paying a premium for the organic label with no measurable benefit. Save your money for more seed.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Unless you are a certified USDA organic grower, intending to grow certified organic produce that you will resale to the public, you will just be paying an additional amount of money that you certainly do not need to be paying. There will be no difference what so ever in produce you will be producing - NONE. - Millet

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  4. JanR

JanR Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I try to grow organically, but I couldn't see the advantage of organic seeds. I will save my money. :)

5. Pharmerphil

Pharmerphil Member

all the replies are factual.
    We are 100% organic, yet not certified, if we were, then we would need to pay the extra money for certified organic seed.
    I agree whole heartedly with woodschmoe about the fungicides, and untreated seed is usually available readily