Orchid identification

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by gwarra, Dec 17, 2007.

1. gwarra

gwarra Member

I have recently acquired a new orchid but do not know what it is.
    Can anyone id it from the attached photo

Attached Files:

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Appears to be a member of the Oncidium tribe, but is almost certainly a hybrid form. The pseudobulbs at the base of the leaves appear to be dried and should be re hydrated. These are rain forest plants and enjoy frequent water and misting and should be grown in a potting media that allows the free flow of the water, In the rain forest they are epiphytic which simply means "a plant that grows upon another plant". These would be found growing on the side or branch of a tree. Since they receive almost daily rain during the rainy season give them frequent water. The potting media should be replaced annually. You can use a good commercial potting media or ground coconut husk mixed with charcoal. Be sure and make sure the coconut husk is completely wet before using. Those pseudobulbs should be plump and filled with water.

This information should give you a good idea of how to care for the plant:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/caringforyourorchids.html

3. gwarra

gwarra Member

Thankyou for your reply Photopro,
    I was worried about the wrinkled pseudobulbs at the base of the leaves but the plant appears to be thriving with more than a dozen new shoots in the six weeks I have had it. It has not yet produced any new pseudobulbs. Will the flower spikes come from the new growth or from the pseudobulbs and when should these appear? The potting medium seems to be too "soily" but I have been reticent to change it while the plant is producing new growth.
    It is summer in Sydney, Australia and the above plant sits with my bromeliads and other orchids (cymbidiums, dendrobriums, phaelenopsis and stanhopeas) in an area that is covered by shade cloth but gets morning sun and filtered sunlight until noon, see first attached photo. Every orchid has lots of new growth.
    Over the past six weeks Sydney has received more than 10 inches of rain with humidity about 75% and a temperature range between 85 and 60 degrees F. I also hand water my orchids about once a week with Manutec soluble Orchid Bloom Booster - NPK 15.8/6.7/25.3
    Because of the high rainfall and humidity I have been worried about giving my orchids too much water. Do you have any suggestions on how I can reduce the wrinkling of the pseudobulbs?
    The pot in the left foreground of the second photo shows a cutting from the original oncidium in coconut husks and that appears to be going well.

Attached Files:

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Your current growing conditions sound fine. There are many opinions on when is the best time to repot. I've tried it all sorts of ways and found basically it makes little difference. You will need to make your own decisions but if the plant is not absorbing water into the pseudobulbs well, I'd go ahead and repot it. There seems to be an indication the plant is not happy with something but obviously is happy enough if it is producing new growth. It is just not filling out the pseudobulbs. I've made it a habit for close to 20 years to change the medium every single year.

You'll know when you've got new spikes since they will come right off the top of the pseudobulbs. For now, just let nature do the watering. But do consider some new potting medium.

I now use a mixture of ground coconut husk (very well washed and re-hydrated) mixed with bark, gravel and charcoal. We get spikes all year long with the exception of fewer in the heat of the summer. It may just be the plant itself, but most of mine seem to respond with more spikes when it is just a bit cooler.

5. gwarra

gwarra Member

Thanks for the prompt reply Photopro.
    I will repot today.