orchid- epsom salt

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by shermanso, Aug 6, 2006.

1. shermanso

shermanso Member

I was searching through the internet and accidentally came across an article saying that application of epsom salt to phalaenopsis will help to induce flower spike.Woderin if that is true?

2. Monk

Monk Member

I just can't see adding salt, when I'm already trying to flush salt out of the pots. Has anyone actually tried adding it?

Richard

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I don't know about orchid, but epson salts can be used on loads of plants, palm tree love it. It will turn a yellowing leaf back to green.

4. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

They mean adding the magnesium part of magnesium sulphate or epsom salts.

5. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Often, the roots will lose the ability to pick up nitrogen due ,in part, to reduced acidity. Epsom salts, containing sulphates, can facilitate the use of nitrogen by being acted upon by bacteria which, by reacting with the sulphate, create sulphuric acid, which obviously acidifies the rooting medium to enable the hair roots to do their thing - - - - assimilate nitrogen, resulting in more satisfactory growth.

6. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

I use Epsom salts about every 3 months (1 tablespoon per gallon of H2O) on all my orchids with no ill effects (in between regular fertilizing and water flushes). Most Phals are bloom initiated by a day/night temperature differential of at least 10 degrees C but I have seen spikes initiated immediately after application of Epsom salts (but they might have been coming anyway).

Shaun

7. bulldog

bulldog Member

epsom salts (mag sulfate) won't do much for blooming, magnesium is need for photosynthesis proteins and some enzymatic reactions. the use of a bloom booster every 4 feedings will yield better results. phal actually have their flowering initiated by light. i can't find the paper right now but 2 genes are turned on by light; one causes a vegetative meristem to become floral while the second gene turns on the buds along the emerging spike. being tropicals it really only takes less than one hour of daylight change to initiate gene transcription in phals.