Orange plant leaves curl and drooping!!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Judy the newbie, May 6, 2018.

1. Judy the newbie

Judy the newbie New Member

Hi i am a beginner in gardening and i have this orange plant for a year now. it survived Chicago winter!! However, I just find out this morning, the leaves are all curled and drooping???? I did put it out for a couple hours a day (either direct sun or under the roof) to let it adjust to the sun. Now im not sure is the weather is still not warm enough? pest? sunburn? or there's root damage (since it was quite windy one day and the plant did become slanted a little) If so, what can i do to revive it??? What should I do?

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Leaves will wilt and curl when the plant has been either over- or under-watered. If the former, then the tree is likely suffering from root rot. Adding moisture should eventually resolve the latter, perhaps with some loss of leaves. The weight of the container will likely indicate which it may be. However the soil does not appear to be overly dry or wet at this point. It also looks to be porous which is a good thing for citrus.

Another possibility is the tree has been exposed to low temperatures, which is what you suspect. If that is the case, the affected leaves will eventually dry and fall. However if exposure was limited the tree has a good chance of recovery.

A few observations:
    • The soil line appears to be quite high up on the tree stem. Has it always been like this? I wonder if the tree has been planted too deep.
    • There does not appear to have pests present. Are there speckled leaves? Webbing? Is there any sticky substance on the leaves or on the floor below? These are signs of an infestation.