Orange globe buddleia? Dried seed head id?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Georgia Strait, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    i saw this on a private property on the coast near Vancouver BC

The photo I discretely & quickly took is a bit confusing because I think a buddleia is mixed in too

The buddleia leaf is approx 8 inches long

The round, somewhat bumpy seed is approx like a large marble (toy) — thé diameter would be approx like a nickel (5 cent coin)

It is on the left hand side of close-up Picture

Any names ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  2. Georgia Strait

I think I just answered my own question — orange globe buddleja

10 ORANGE BALL TREE / Golden Butterfly Bush Buddleja Globosa Shrub Flower Seeds *Flat Shipping

I have NEVER noticed one before in these parts

Maybe @wcutler you've seen one on your west end adventures - amidst some of the other unusual plants you find

I notice the spelling is different than I would normally spell the common weedy purple buddleia

Are they related ?

Thé overall shrub Height was approx 10-12 feet and you can see the regular purple spike flowers at the top of shrub (it was noon full glaring sun hence poor photo)

I suppose the two shrubs are growing closely together

I did not notice any orange color balls — just the dry brown ones

Interesting.

3. Georgia Strait

@Margot and @pmurphy — I wonder if in your local garden travels if you have come across this globe buddleja

Pls see above

Thank you - i am so curious now that I’ve seen one (tho not in bloom - it was dry seed heads as shown above )

4. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I haven't seen any in the local garden centers but they are on my seed wish list for this fall.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here is a Buddleja globosa in Stanley Park from 2013.
    20130512_StanleyParkOffLagoonDr_BuddlejaGlobosa_Cutler_P1460039.JPG 20130512_StanleyParkOffLagoonDr_BuddlejaGlobosa_Cutler_P1460045.JPG

6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I grew a Buddleia x weyeriana when I lived in Burnaby - not related too closely to B. globosa but similar-looking. I liked how the buds were mauve but the flowers opened an orangey-yellow.

EDIT: I just read this from the article below - "The man made interspecific hybrid Buddleia globosa x Buddleia davidii has been given the unique epithet Buddleia x weyeriana. This cross was originally made by the first Buddleia breeder, Mr. Van de Weyer in Dorset, England in the early 20th century."

[​IMG]
    Buddleja × weyeriana - Wikipedia

As an interesting aside, here is a discussion about the choice of spelling of Buddleja, Buddleia or Buddlea.

Buddleia Taxonomy (How the butterfly bush got its name)
    An alternate spelling for Buddleia is "buddleja", and like a good mystery novel, the nomenclatural plot thickens. Reportedly, British surgeon and botanist Dr. William Houstoun (1695-1733), in his Catalogus plantarum Horti regii parisiensis, first spelled the name "Buddleia". Carl Linnaeus then reportedly misspelled it in the taxonomic bible, Species Plantarum as both "buddleja" in the text and "budleja" in the index. In a later edition of Houstoun's work, published by Sir Joseph Banks in 1781, three different spellings can be found: buddleja, buddleia, and buddlea. Many taxonomists also consider the name buddleja to have been misspelled, because according to the rules of Latin; the suffix "ja" is grammatically incorrect and the suffix "ia" is the proper way to create a genus from the name Buddle. Nowadays, most European taxonomists use the spelling buddleja, but almost everyone else uses the orthographical variant spelling Buddleia...and we will follow the latter convention in this essay. In recent years major references from the American Horticultural Society, and the Royal Horticultural Society have been reverting from buddleia to buddleja. Many Americans rely on a reference book called Hortus Third which uses the term Buddleia.

Read more here:
    Buddleia davidii: The Butterfly Bush.

After reading all this, I've decided to use the spelling BUDDLEIA.

D97x7 and Georgia Strait like this.
  7. wcutler

That is pretty neat.

UBCBG's Garden Explorer (Garden Explorer | UBC Botanical Garden) spells it Buddleja.

8. Georgia Strait

Interesting Wendy

I wonder if the gardeners prune it back or what do they do to the shrub

Also - do you know what time of year here in Vanc BC the globes are « orange » color?

9. Georgia Strait

I wondered earlier today if the last few letters of the plant name could be due to a Spanish spelling (native to South America ... and of course J is soft sound —- like La Jolla Calif town name .... or jalapeño )

10. wcutler

The photos are from May 12, 2013 (I've corrected the year in the posting).
    It looks pruned to me in the first photo.