Orange Dream location

Discussion in 'Maples' started by dicky5ash, Apr 12, 2020.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I’ve moved a mature 5ft Orange dream in a large pot to the front of my house..the spot gets U.K. full sun from 3.30pm, house provides shade before then, do you think it will be ok? It was getting too much sun round the back..

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi dicky5ash, maples prefer morning sun and afternoon shade. It will probably be ok until beginning of June IMO, but June , July and August it might have problems coping.
    If you cant move it to anywhere else in the hot months then consider some fleece shading when the forecast is very hot and sunny.
    Sorry I cant be more positive for you.

AlainK and 0soyoung like this.
  3. dicky5ash

Thanks for your reply..No sun at all till 3.30pm..so you think 3.30-5pm is too intense, I’ll see if there’s a spot 5pm sun onwards

4. Acerholic

Hi dicky5ash, the 3 summer months we find in Hampshire the intense heat is from 3 - 6 , but if you find some protection where you live, 5pm should be ok..
    Btw keep an eye on the forecast tomorrow night, looks like a possible frost.
    Glad I was of some assistance.

5. dicky5ash

Thank you..much appreciated..frost ohhhh nooooo

6. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi, I too have a 7ft tall and 7ft wide Orange Dream (in-ground) getting all afternoon sun and yes it took a beating during the summer unless I make sure to water it a bit more than usual then I can see those leaves turn in the Falls. So you just have to watch it a bit more if it is already in the ground.

7. dicky5ash

Yes I can imagine all afternoon sun being problematic..but U.K. from 3.30pm I think that’s maybe ok 4.30pm would be safer

8. Acerholic

Hi Atapi, after seeing your post of a 7ft x 7ft Orange Dream, it would be great to see a Spring photo of it on the Cheering ourselves up thread on this forum and any more Spring maples you have photos of in Northern Virginia ?
    There are a lot of wonderful photos on there already, but everybody likes more!!!

9. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Acerholic, thank you but I hardly post any pic before on this forum. Do you know what size of the pic that we can post, how many that we can upload, and do you know how others are writing the cultivar name on the photo that they sent?. Thanks,

Attached Files:

Acerholic and dicky5ash like this.
  10. Acerholic

Hi Atapi, I do just as you have done below and tell everyone what each maple is in the write up. Some edit their photos before uploading.
    If you click on the cheering ourselves up thread you will see various amounts of photos and of naming them. If you click on one of the posts with the naming on the photo and then ask the question of that person then I'm sure they will reply on how they do that.
    Great pictures of your Orange Dream btw. That is a lovely specimen. Thanks for sharing it.