Opposite leaved wildflower, and 1 grass with hard caryopsis

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Eyerah, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Eyerah

Eyerah Active Member

Before I ask about the plants, I just want to say thanks to everyone who uses this forum. As a novice field botanist, this site has been a great tool for me when I get stumped in the keys. Also, when I find a single plant that I don't know, I know that I can photograph it and post it here instead of picking it and killing a potentially rare plant.

Thank You!

Today I came across a single stem of this beautiful little wildflower on a rocky shore of an island on lake of the woods (NW Ontario, E Manitoba, or N. Minnesota take your pick :)). I have been surveying up here for a few weeks now, and haven't come across this plant yet, maybe it is rare. Even if not, it is the only occurrence on one of our sites, so I didn't want to pick it just to key it, and I couldn't key it in the field.

The other plant that I need to key it this one. A simple grass, looks like it could be an annual. Broad flat leaves, hairy collar and a ligule of hairs ~2-3 mm. Lemmas are glabrous. I have a specimen of it, but I can't seem to key it. Please let me know if there is any other features on it that I need to describe.

Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. David in L A

David in L A Active Member 10 Years

Collomia?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

That's what I thought also.

4. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

Keying grasses needs a microscope to see the flower details. I believe this is Panicum and it has a rather confusing spikelet structure with reduced florets looking as additional glumes/lemmas. The lemma of the fertile floret wraps around the palea and seed. It is shiny and so smooth that it is practically impossible to handle it with a pincette.

5. Andrey Zharkikh

Only Collomia linearis goes that far east.

6. Eyerah

Eyerah Active Member

Thanks everyone! I just ran our and took another look, and it fits the description in Chadde very well. I peeked inside a persistent calyx and saw what looked like a 3 sided capsule. I think that it is a good ID.

Now for the grass. I am having some trouble with the keys in Chadde's Minnesota Flora. I am also using Voss' Field Manual of Michigan Flora. Voss has better keys, but not much in the way of descriptions.

Can anyone recommend a really user friendly grass key for the area??

Cheers!

7. Andrey Zharkikh

8. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

You may want to pick up E.H. Moss' Flora of Alberta.

9. Eyerah

Eyerah Active Member

Thanks. I usually use Moss when I am working on the prairies. For some silly reason I didn't bring a copy on this trip.

Thanks for the link to the digital keys, I will try these.

10. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Moss is equally good for all habitats, needless to say. There's a key provided for every family/group of species, as one would expect in a comprehensive work. :-)