operation of "Find your posts"

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Ralph Walton, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

I usually use this function to monitor any further activity in a thread after my post. There is a field in the header: "Replies" that appears to simply total the number of posts, which is not something I need to know. I would find this useful if it would indicate the number of posts after my post.

Ralph

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

personally I just hit the new posts button, then scan for topics that look interesting.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Same here. Thats probably why I seem to be going where angels fear to tread. Lots of new and interesting things. My mail program tells me if there is new activity on a thread with a polite Dear Liz. I press URL and there is the latest missive from a correspondant.
    Liz

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Hi Paul & Liz:
    That's what I used to do as well, and still do when I have time, but with the number of posts climbing into the hundreds per day (that's a good thing, Daniel), sometimes I can only monitor the threads I have already become involved with.

Ralph

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not sure if this would help, Ralph, but one thing you can do is subscribe to the thread (under Thread Tools.) This sends you emails whenever someone contributes to the subscribed thread.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The "find your posts" functionality is simply a search on your own username. The results pages act the same for all searches, so to change it would require a fair bit of custom programming (i.e., I'd have to create a separate search result page if the person was searching on their own username). The chances of me finding the time for this are pretty slim.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ralph, if Karen hasn't already sent you a PM, you should see this thread

8. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

What ever I did I only get the notes I subscribed to. Somewhere I also can delete those threads I no longer need. This one for example came out of the blue it has been a while since I wrote to this. I find the notification system excellent and certainly not time consuming. I also get many (100's) e-mail per day and I can just slide down and pick and choose.

Liz