One trillion trees

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by Acerholic, Oct 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

This reeks of election time gimmickry . . . if he got re-elected, he'd quietly drop the idea. His past record on conservation is abysmal.

3. scilover

scilover Member

just hoping that the trees will be successfully and really be planted. If this is just a gimmick, I don't know what to say. this is too much that our earth loses its nature.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

And even if they did plant the trees - what trees would they be? Huge plantations of clones selected for maximum wood production profit and devoid of biodiversity?

5. Acerholic

I am trying to be more positive about the announcement. My local council also announced a similar project for where I live earlier this year. Albeit in much smaller quantities of course. But the world is watching, so let's criticise if it does not happen.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Linked to article refers to Forest Service involvement at least a couple times = planting of presumably seed raised stock of species they would be using in each particular region anyway, whether the effort had been bolstered by these recent actions or not.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

On the other hand, there's this article from Grist that suggests that maybe the inclination to help isn't really helpful.
    Natural debate: Do forests grow better without our help?
    That was part of the issue.

8. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

9. Acerholic

Fascinating articles guys, it goes to show that there is always an opposite argument from other research. What has always worried me is, which scientific study do world politicians follow. They say they are all experts in their field.
    I watched a documentary only last night saying that mass tree planting in the Brazilian rain forests is the only way to help our planet. So who is right!!!!
    I'm really pleased this thread has got people thinking and discussing this conundrum.

10. Acerholic

Another organisation, this time tne National Trust (UK) are hoping to plant 20 million trees over the next 10 years.
    National Trust to plant 20 million trees in ten years - Environment Journal
    Yes they are asking people to contribute to the costs, but what better thing to do for our children and grand childrens future than to help plant a tree. My wife and I will be contributing.