Identification: on Himalayan blackberry

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Ralph Walton, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Any guesses on this one?

Ralph

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Nice! Is that a Himalayan blackberry, or actually the native? The leaflets look pointed and shiny in this shot. The two also sometimes cross, to produce an intermediate that has been called Cascade berry.

There is a rust that attacks Himalayan blackberry, and kills it (God, send it to us!) but presumably this is another type of fungus as it does not look like oxidation of metal.

Maybe something that comes out of the soil.

3. Steve H

Steve H Active Member

Could be a species of slime mould in it's "fruiting phase"?

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wow - that's gorgeous! And it's not attached to the ground or other surface, just the leaf?

I ask this because the structure reminds me of a Thelephora fruiting body, and the colour of some of the local Hydnellums, but both of those would be attached to the ground or other surface, encasing the leaf simply because it was in the path of growth. It doesn't resemble the structure of any slime moulds I've encountered.

Very intriguing! I'm looking forward to its identity being revealed!

frog

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Wow...this is incredible looking! Does it feel 'dusty' or soft? Or is it kind of waxy or maybe rubbery in texture? Any way you can get an under-side view? I'm wondering...to see if there's pores....or something else?

6. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Active Member

This will be the first time I will have called a fungus pretty, I think. Very arresting :)

7. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    Great something that attacks Himalayan blackberries.

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

There's no real sign of disease in the leaf, I'd agree with Frog's suggestion that it is something ground-based which just happens to be surrounding the leaf.

More information and photos would help a lot!

9. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Assuming for the moment that it is growing from either ground or wood, not from the leaf, I'm still thinking Thelephora.

We found a Pycnoporellus once growing atypically resupinate, on the top of fallen log (perhaps log had rolled over), with a structure looking very much like this. However, the only Pycnoporellus in this region I know of is bright orange, so this seems unlikely.

frog