Oleander

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by filfilksq, Mar 22, 2008.

1. filfilksq

filfilksq Member

I've been taking inventory of the garden at our new house, and I believe we have two well-established oleander bushes. What I've been reading about them regarding toxicity is giving me cause for concern. Before I knew what they were I planted mint around the base, I am assuming that should be discarded (as the oleander leaves occasionally fall into the mint, as well as flower petals, etc. etc.

They are in the middle of a high-traffic area, and I do have small children, should these simply be removed? If they were in an obscure corner of our property perhaps I would be less concerned.. or should I not be concerned in any event?

They are attractive, and have lovely pink flowers, but since I've been reading about them their beauty is greatly diminished... but I wonder if I am over-reacting?

Thanks in advance for any comments..

Kate

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Here there are lots of them planted all over in suitable climates. Other poisonous plants also occur where pets and children can get at them, as well as other hazards like moving cars. So, taking your shrubs out may not make much difference to the danger level there - you still have to teach your kids to avoid danger, including not putting poisonous plant parts in their mouths. Toddlers too young to understand just have to be monitored all the time.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Kate if they were mine I would remove them or fence them off from kids and dogs. You can't always be there and they need to play somewhere. They say even burning the branches (smoke ) is dangerous. I have goats and they eat a lot of things they should not (including rhodo which made goat very sick) I would not even keep the oleander I had because of the risk of the animal getting at it. If you are handling it wear gloves and take care disposing of it.

Liz